Hobby.... Beekeeping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this this morning after I read an email from Tractor Supply offering "prebuy" on bees, online only.
They are asking $179 for 3 lbs of bees, 2 different varieties available. I have a small orchard that they would probably help.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Danggit. I wanna do this so bad but I don't think I have enough plants around to keep them happy. Yet. Plus, I gonna figure a way to hide the hive because I really think the front yard is gonna be the best spot to put it and I have the nosy-est ****ing neighbors on the planet. Hmmmm. #lifegoals

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many hives do you have to run to break even. Seems equipment would be expensive if you only have one or two hives. Can you rent the suit and equipment for extraction?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just buy the suit, its not that much. My first year I used a hat with a net, and Long sleeves and jeans. Go slow and easy in the hive, the bees are easier to get along with. You start yanking things around, they get riled, and you've got a problem.
The extraction equipment, well that's a different story. I never could find anyone to rent from, so I bought mine.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, you have all the space in the world!! Get with it, my man!!
And even more land now! I can't wait to get started doing it, but I'm still pretty leary due to my record with critters.

Did you see the news about those rugruts who destroyed those hives just recently?

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And even more land now! I can't wait to get started doing it, but I'm still pretty leary due to my record with critters.

Did you see the news about those rugruts who destroyed those hives just recently?

Sure you don't need an indentured servant?? I'd KILL to be up there with you and Mrs. N!

I did. There would have been an asskicking of epic proportions. :mad:

Latest posts

Top Bottom