Hobby.... Beekeeping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've got several 10" steel corner and line posts around the ranch here. Not sure how old but I'd say they've been in the ground for 20+ years. All these posts had "caps" welded on the top. They've got a very sloppy hole cut in the side that a 2 1/2" pipe brace goes in. Nearest I can figure they must be perfect for bees cuz prolly 50% have hives built in em. The bees get inside the 10" pipe via the sloppy cut hole in the side that may have a 1/2" to 1" gap around the 2 1/2" pipe.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've got several 10" steel corner and line posts around the ranch here. Not sure how old but I'd say they've been in the ground for 20+ years. All these posts had "caps" welded on the top. They've got a very sloppy hole cut in the side that a 2 1/2" pipe brace goes in. Nearest I can figure they must be perfect for bees cuz prolly 50% have hives built in em. The bees get inside the 10" pipe via the sloppy cut hole in the side that may have a 1/2" to 1" gap around the 2 1/2" pipe.

We have a hive somewhere in the area. Our birdbath and hummingbird feeders get over ran with them at times.
I took some advice awhile back to stand in the yard and watch their return path, but it seems they all go different directions. More than one hive? have to be in hollow trees.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've got an ol barn out in the middle of the ranch that they've taken up residence in. I'd say they can be found bout anywhere dry and not disturbed much.

To the Op: get ya some. If you don't enjoy it, quit doin it. You never know til ya try and if you can afford to lose every dollar you put in then go for it. I'm not saying that like you will lose your money! I'm saying it like..... Well, it ain't gonna break me so I'll give er a shot!

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This will be my sons 2 year to have several beehives. He really likes it,went to an OKC beehive group to learn before he started. Maybe get honey this year. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom