Hog hunting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm wanting to finally get into doing some hunting. I've even got my wife talked in to joining me. We'd both like to go on a hog hunt.

I hit a snag...she came across an article on newsok dot com talking about hogs becoming a real problem in OK. BUT it talked about how diseased the hogs are and it's caused some apprehension on her part.

We'd like to eat what we bag but now she's all paranoid.

So what's the real story on this? Help me out guys.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol I think she's worried about both! But mainly about eating the meat and getting sick.

I know you must cook wild game thoroughly but we've never done it. How real are her concerns?

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know guys that will just cook it and not worry about it, but rabies and others diseases do exist. Growing up in BFE, I saw plenty rabies stricken animals, and pigs eat anything. I was told you can have the meat tested if you take it to a butcher, but I never looked into it. I should be going on my first hog hunt in the next few months, and it's something I've pondered myself and asked a lot of my friends that hunt them and eat it.

As far her contracting something, just don't get bit (rabies is passed through saliva into an open wound), and when field dressing, wear gloves and you should be fine. Personally, if the animal looked diseased to me, I would just leave it lie.

Hope some other's chime in, this is something I'm interested in as well from more experienced hunters on how they approach this. I've wondered on the testing part of it,and if anyone does have their meat tested.

(P.S. - Carry a side arm is advice I got told all the time in case you get charged up close in brush.)

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had the meat tested, but I ALWAYS wear gloves when dressing hogs. (from field dressing/gutting to packing the meat in the freezer)
I've never seen anything that made me fear eating well-cooked wild pork, and we eat a bunch of it at my house.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the cook at your local fast food joint would more likely pass something on to you from lack of hygene than a hog. JMO

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the cook at your local fast food joint would more likely pass something on to you from lack of hygene than a hog. JMO

+1

Just go shoot the sumbitches and leave them laying in the field if it makes you feel any better. No reason to feel bad about either, you read the article. But if you do want to keep some meat, wear you a set of latex gloves, take the backstraps and hams, and leave the rest for the buzzards. Don't even have to gut them. I've never worn gloves and I'm fine. *twitch* *twitch*

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We clean and eat lots of hogs. IF they look healthy (fat and in good shape), we don't worry about them. Best to wear gloves, but I don't, can handle the knife better without them. JMO Signs of infection, stink, meat looks bad, just use your good sense.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1

Just go shoot the sumbitches and leave them laying in the field if it makes you feel any better. No reason to feel bad about either, you read the article. But if you do want to keep some meat, wear you a set of latex gloves, take the backstraps and hams, and leave the rest for the buzzards. Don't even have to gut them. I've never worn gloves and I'm fine. *twitch* *twitch*

We're not opposed to letting them lie. But we're big meat eaters and would love to be able to kill it and grill it. Lol!

Latest posts

Top Bottom