hog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to your local watering hole bout 1:30 am and wait outside the door... It takes a keen eye on what to look for, but with a little practice you can be successful.

Depending on what you are wanting, the easiest pickens are the large sows. You don't want one that is toting piglets along with her most of the time, so look either for lone sows, or those that travel in groups. The thinner, leaner of the species will usually already have company, so you can check them off the list. Be wary of large herds of hogs, they can eat you alive. If you do see a hog to your liking, be cautious on your approach. Make sure there is not a large boar near that will cut you for trying to get in on his action. Boars seem to be very territorial when it comes to there women. Be sure to be down wind of any approaching sows, if you can smell cheap vodka and regret, then you know you are in for some action. There are occasions where you may be able to load up more than one sow at a time, it happens. But most of the time they will both get loose before you ever get a shot at one. A hog in hand is worth two in the bush. If you are looking to trap any hogs, go for the younger ones. They usually fall for anything. The older, wiser hogs have seen it and heard it all before... but they can still fall victim to your game. You may try your hand at baiting if all else fails. Tried and true baits for late at night are Taco Bell, cheap liquor, and a ride home for the big pig that gets left behind.

Give that a whirl, with a little practice you might become a skilled hog hunter, the oppotunities are endless. :)

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason your being given a hard time is you started a thread on hog hunting. There are already 6-8 threads on hog hunting on this first page of the hunting/fishing section alone.
Try using the search feature and you will find dozens of discussion threads that should answer your questions without having to start the same discussion over and over again.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my buddy and I hunted Canton WMA this past weekend. We were coyote hunting, but in the west lake bottoms there was a TON of fresh hog activity signs. I'd suggest hiking back from Cedar Camp about 1.5-2 miles around 3 p.m., spray some Hog Bomb and sit up in a tree stand. Before it's too dark to see you should be able to plug at least one, possibly more. Take a game cart to pull it out with you and make sure you've got plenty of water and a good flashlight. I'd imagine the walk out at night will not be fun. Good luck.

BTW...as of about a month ago there was zero hog activity at Black Kettle WMA.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to your local watering hole bout 1:30 am and wait outside the door... It takes a keen eye on what to look for, but with a little practice you can be successful.

Depending on what you are wanting, the easiest pickens are the large sows. You don't want one that is toting piglets along with her most of the time, so look either for lone sows, or those that travel in groups. The thinner, leaner of the species will usually already have company, so you can check them off the list. Be wary of large herds of hogs, they can eat you alive. If you do see a hog to your liking, be cautious on your approach. Make sure there is not a large boar near that will cut you for trying to get in on his action. Boars seem to be very territorial when it comes to there women. Be sure to be down wind of any approaching sows, if you can smell cheap vodka and regret, then you know you are in for some action. There are occasions where you may be able to load up more than one sow at a time, it happens. But most of the time they will both get loose before you ever get a shot at one. A hog in hand is worth two in the bush. If you are looking to trap any hogs, go for the younger ones. They usually fall for anything. The older, wiser hogs have seen it and heard it all before... but they can still fall victim to your game. You may try your hand at baiting if all else fails. Tried and true baits for late at night are Taco Bell, cheap liquor, and a ride home for the big pig that gets left behind.

Give that a whirl, with a little practice you might become a skilled hog hunter, the oppotunities are endless. :)

This is classic literature.

Might I add I was in Wal-Mart on June 1st (I gotta get a calendar) and noticed an abundance of hogs.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is classic literature.

Might I add I was in Wal-Mart on June 1st (I gotta get a calendar) and noticed an abundance of hogs.

Dang it! you changed your avatar! I rarely actually read names, just look at the avatar to know who it is. You confused me. ( i saw a similar discussion on another thread but didn't chime in so decided to now).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Holy crap that was funny!:respect::rotflmao:

Latest posts

Top Bottom