Hogs and stuff...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you see one out in the field, and it is as tall as the buck nearby, you get a little extra adrenaline pimping for sure!

Great job man!
Thanks man! I can't wait for that to happen! I had one on the camera that probably would have been close to 300 a few years ago, but I never seen it in person when I was out there hunting.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I admire your honesty and transparency with hog weights. You don’t see that everyday on the internet. Most guys on the internet shoot a 175 lb hog and immediately call it 300-350. When you’ve killed a lot of hogs, you get a pretty good idea of what it really takes to kill a 300 pounder. They’re like 160+” deer, there’s just not one behind every bush…. They’re rare. When you see a 300+ wild hog, they’re very impressive.

I’ve seen 2 wild hogs killed that I considered absolutely enormous and those true giants are freaks of nature. I saw a 530 lb hog in person, that was killed about 20 (?) years ago by a buddy of mine with a set of dogs by erick. They refused to leave it behind because they just had to know what it weighed. I don’t remember where they had it weighed, but they used a co-op scale or something similar. I saw it the next day and took measurements of it everywhere. I remember his nutsack was 9” across and from the tip of his nose to his ears was nearly 20”. I had pictures of him on an old phone and lost the phone in the lake. 🤦🏼‍♂️ that hog looked like a 55 gallon barrel with legs. Of all the gigantic measurements we took of him, I thought he had small feet for his size. He must have been leaving deep craters when he walked.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scored a nice spotted hog this evening with the 6.5 grendel and hornady match ammo. This is the first hog I’ve shot with this ammo. Zipped straight through him behind the shoulder, and he went about 80 yards and piled up. I think I’ll shoot the next one in the shoulder and see how that performs.

Edit: this is actually the 2nd hog I’ve shot with this ammo, but the first I’ve recovered.

Attachments

• E84C03A0-886D-4AD6-96A9-80B64ADB031B.jpeg
    E84C03A0-886D-4AD6-96A9-80B64ADB031B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scored a nice spotted hog this evening with the 6.5 grendel and hornady match ammo. This is the first hog I’ve shot with this ammo. Zipped straight through him behind the shoulder, and he went about 80 yards and piled up. I think I’ll shoot the next one in the shoulder and see how that performs.

Edit: this is actually the 2nd hog I’ve shot with this ammo, but the first I’ve recovered.
I've wondered how match ammo or fjm would do on a hog. I assumed it would just pencil hole straight through them. Would be interesting to see what happens if you get one in the shoulder.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've wondered how match ammo or fjm would do on a hog. I assumed it would just pencil hole straight through them. Would be interesting to see what happens if you get one in the shoulder.
I’ll see if I can find a willing subject for the experiment. Maybe one evening this week….

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Certain match bullets do pretty well in non-shoulder shots. The ELD-M is a good performer on head/neck and even vitals shots. The SMK is completely hit and miss.

My reason for giving up on match bullets is the ability to find Hornady's SST at a cheaper cost if you shop around. The SST has been a hammer for me in both my Grendel and 6.8.

FMJ that is cannelured may work okay if it can get deep enough before coming apart. The green tip M855 stuff will get through a shoulder, but no guarantee on the amount of damage done to the vitals...you may be tracking for a while and trying to find blood out of a .224 diameter hole through a shoulder. Plus the shoulder is great for sealing up.

I know guys that swear by the M855 stuff...but they're also the guys who swear by Chevy trucks, even though theirs has been sitting on blocks for the last two years. I've learned to take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt...that's why I do a lot of bullet testing on my own in my videos. (Full disclosure: I own a GMC 😄).

Stepping up to a .308 would probably increase your chances of finding a hit hog If you're determined to use a FMJ.

Since few people video this stuff, you might be onto something. Maybe shoot 10-12 pigs and then do an overview of performance for your viewers.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since few people video this stuff, you might be onto something. Maybe shoot 10-12 pigs and then do an overview of performance for your viewers.
oh I don't wanna test that out, I like to stick with the soft point ammo or hollopoints at the very least. I just remember reading some of the other thread that talked about using match ammo to hunt. I also had a guy tell me once that he shot a hog with fjm and dropped it, but I'm thinking there wouldn't be much room for error if you use fjm, otherwise they are probably going to run a good ways.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ate you going to be using that at night with your thermal? If so, how are you going to be figuring out range with the rainbow like trajectory?

Without owning one, I like the concept of that cartridge for blind hunting in thick vegetation. Don't know if I have the stones for trying to hunt with it at 300 yards though. Best of luck my friend, and I look forward to seeing the video.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ate you going to be using that at night with your thermal? If so, how are you going to be figuring out range with the rainbow like trajectory?

Without owning one, I like the concept of that cartridge for blind hunting in thick vegetation. Don't know if I have the stones for trying to hunt with it at 300 yards though. Best of luck my friend, and I look forward to seeing the video.
Oh no, I don't plan on putting the thermal on this rifle. I'll use it during the day and will hopefully be within 100 yards, but I wanted to know the drop out to 300 "just in case". lol

I also noticed at 300 yards, the slightest little bit of wind and I would be hitting 12 inches to the right. This thing really seems to be effected by wind pretty easily.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom