home insurance, what have you found out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use AAA and have been real happy. Just over $1000/year for our home. Our home is expensive (dirt value) so I think our structure is insured for approx $250k. If they had to completely replace/rebuild my home it's value would go up by another 25-30%.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd probably be pissed if I had any idea what you were talking about. Are you saying 50 is too old to be on this forum?

I see somebody else bought you a clue on the AARP. Here's another clue - my next birthday is #60. Better pissed off than pissed on I always say.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 76 next month, so I've been pissed on and pissed off a few times. AARP leadership has consistently shot themselves in the foot over the years. They're usually brought around to a better way of thinking by their membership. The more of us who are members and make our case (which I do often), the more we will influence their actions. I'll guarantee I can do more to affect their thinking by being in the mix than you can by being outside.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 76 next month, so I've been pissed on and pissed off a few times. AARP leadership has consistently shot themselves in the foot over the years. They're usually brought around to a better way of thinking by their membership. The more of us who are members and make our case (which I do often), the more we will influence their actions. I'll guarantee I can do more to affect their thinking by being in the mix than you can by being outside.

Heh..... AARP has no f&cks to give about it's membership. Do a little research on them supporting Obamacare's cuts to medicare. Which interestingly made them a TON of money since they are virtually owned by United Health Care...... and wouldn't you know it......AARP came out to endorse Obamacare so United Health Care could become the government's Third Party Administrator for Obamacare.

That they are concerned about anything other than money is quite delusional.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we're paying about $1k or so on each $150-200k of coverage, the wife would know more about it since she pays it, and our house is paid off if that matters on pricing since we dont have a loan. I pay way less though for coverage on my little Aframe cabin and shop buildings up on the mountain in northern CA and more on coverage for a less than 1000ft condo in West Des Moines IA.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You're an awful small rudder trying to turn a very big ship while they're using your money to stoke the fires that take them closer to where they want to go. Sorry, I'll take a pass on financing that cruise. Insurance is already a big enough juggernaut in our lives without giving them the funds to fuel their anti-freedom political goals.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a member of AARP for awhile. When I stopped the membership, they kept sending me a new member card that expired after one month. They did this for a year. 12 different cards. What a waste. Almost as much advertisement as NRA.

I will never join them ever again. I get same discounts thru AAA.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll back away slowly with this last thought. If you think United Health Care, or Hartford, or any other insurance company owns or controls AARP, you are sadly mistaken. I speak from experience when I tell you that AARP carries the big stick and those companies bend over backward to sell their products through them.

Kinda funny! The same folks who castigate AARP for it's position will finance the Chinese all day long. Which is the bigger threat, I wonder?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll back away slowly with this last thought. If you think United Health Care, or Hartford, or any other insurance company owns or controls AARP, you are sadly mistaken. I speak from experience when I tell you that AARP carries the big stick and those companies bend over backward to sell their products through them.

Kinda funny! The same folks who castigate AARP for it's position will finance the Chinese all day long. Which is the bigger threat, I wonder?

Big stick? If they have a mind of their own as you for some reason believe.... why did they support a universal cut of senior benefits? Why did they promote Medicare Advantage? Now they are promoting medigap as a safety net from the junk MA insurance that they sold to people? I don't know why you are such a homer for them but they are NOT in it for the greater good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom