Home insurance - who do you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently use Allstate to insure 2 homes, 2 cars and a motorcycle. 1 vehicle claim 4 years ago, no tickets, and never a home claim on anything. Tier 1 credit, 31 years old.

Got a renewal today for 1 of the homes and the premium has increased by about 35%. In the same renewal letter it stated that construction costs have decreased... So if construction costs have decreased, I haven't made any claims, I insure all of this stuff with them, why has my premium gone up so much?

So, I'm about ready to kick Allstate to the curb and look elsewhere.

Who do you use to insure your home? I was thinking of calling AAA and getting rates from them, and dependent on what they offer - moving everything over to them to get the multi-car/home discount.

Jonny

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use USAA, however I have renters insurance and auto insurance through them.

Its ~$18.00 a month for 35k coverage with additional coverage for jewelry, computers, and guns.

Auto insurance runs ~135 a month for my spouse and I. Two vehicles, full coverage, $500 deductible.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently use Allstate to insure 2 homes, 2 cars and a motorcycle. 1 vehicle claim 4 years ago, no tickets, and never a home claim on anything. Tier 1 credit, 31 years old.

Got a renewal today for 1 of the homes and the premium has increased by about 35%. In the same renewal letter it stated that construction costs have decreased... So if construction costs have decreased, I haven't made any claims, I insure all of this stuff with them, why has my premium gone up so much?

So, I'm about ready to kick Allstate to the curb and look elsewhere.

Who do you use to insure your home? I was thinking of calling AAA and getting rates from them, and dependent on what they offer - moving everything over to them to get the multi-car/home discount.

Jonny

I use State Farm, haven't had a premium increase in over 3 years. Made one claim, and it was taken care of pretty fairly.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Liberty Mutual. Was able to lower my deductible from 1% wind/hail to $500, increase personal liability to $1M and lowered my premium $700/year.

mountain287

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use USAA for home, auto and camper. On 5/10/2010, our house and camper were hit by softball (5 inch diameter) sized hail. Our claim was over $35k. The insurance company paid out for the claims without any hassle. We had broken windows. Since were have small children and there was broken glass on the floor, they replaced all of the carpet in the house.

Everyone thinks they have good insurance.......until they need to use it.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend that has AAA insure his house. Company owns his truck so the only thing needing covered is dwelling. He saved a considerable amount switching to them. He was with State Farm.

I have State Farm for the House, 2 cars, personal articles policy and two life insurance policies. I shopped around not to long ago and couldn't find any savings switching. State Farm has me so dicounted up that I'm sitting pretty good. I'll probably review everything in March when our house policy renews again.

We saved 40k this year switching insurance companies for work. Better coverage higher limits and still saved 40k. Needless to say our old Broker was getting fat on our dime.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use USAA and love them. House is insured for 150k and is 800 or so a year. 2 cars with full coverage cost me 170 a month/500 deductible. We had renters insurance when we lived in the apartment and it was only like 12 bucks a month. If you can use them take advantage of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom