Hope this is not a new trend....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kids are kids...every generation has kids that shock the generation before them. I remember the hell guys caught getting Mohawks when I was a teen. You'd have thought they were axe murderers or something. Admittedly emulating killers and such is pushing the envelope but that's what kids do. Some of the "weirdos" I graduated with went on to become pretty damn successful and influential and some of the "priveldged" kids who I expected to be doctors or CEO's ended up living lives they looked down upon during school.

All that said if I had seen the same kid as the OP I would definitely put myself between him and the door just in case a hasty retreat was in order.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so, you saw a guy wearing clothing you don't agree with, with his hair done in a manner you don't agree with, and you hope it never happens again. And you think HE is the scary one?

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I walked into a Braum's store in Lawton today for lunch. In front of me in line was a kid (a teenager at most, but old enough to drive) wearing a black nylon tactical vest over his shirt, complete with multiple mag pouches and a nylon holster worn cross-draw style on the lower left side of the vest. I was immediately concerned by his appearance, him wearing an out-and-out tactical vest AND clear shooting glasses in a busy, public place, though thankfully the holster on his vest was empty. Beyond that, his wavy hair was a bright reddish-orange, and he was tall and slender. I have no doubt that he was intentionally trying to look like the guy who must be his hero, because his resemblence to James Holmes was almost uncanny.

No pics? Didn't happen.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. I was part of a small group of people who were part of the punk scene in Lawton in the late 90's. Crazy colored hair, mohawks, bomber jackets, patches and safety pins everywhere on our clothes, combat boots and chains and studded belts. We also had a ton of goth and metal heads who hung out in our group along with some of the local skinheads and rudeboys. We did things intentionally to get a rise out of people and wore things that might have been inappropriate at times. Kids will be kids. I chuckle a bit because I'm older and catch myself reacting the way some of the older folks reacted towards me and my group back in the day. Gotta love teenaged angst.

Also, before someone goes off on me about skinheads, most skinheads aren't nazis and most are even vehemently anti-racist. The media has portrayed skinheads to all be racist nazis, but in actuality only a small minority of skinheads racist in nature. Not going to go off tangent about the whole skinhead culture, but it actually has it's roots in Britain among the working class British and Jamaican dock workers and is rooted in Jamaican music.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it is just because it has been so hot.. but has anyone else noticed that since the Martin kid got shot down in Florida, the 'Hoodie' has become less prevalent among the thugish kids. I don't remember seeing one in several months. Use to be, you saw teen & college aged kids wearing them all summer long... especially at night roaming through Walmart.

But one thing I have noticed, my local Walmart has started selling a lot of Co2 powered BB / Pellet pistols to teenagers. The popular one seems to be the one that looks like the MP5 and a Glock style. With open carry in Nov., police may have a lot of teenage kids trying to open carry these pellet / BB guns.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it is just because it has been so hot.. but has anyone else noticed that since the Martin kid got shot down in Florida, the 'Hoodie' has become less prevalent among the thugish kids. I don't remember seeing one in several months. Use to be, you saw teen & college aged kids wearing them all summer long... especially at night roaming through Walmart.

But one thing I have noticed, my local Walmart has started selling a lot of Co2 powered BB / Pellet pistols to teenagers. The popular one seems to be the one that looks like the MP5 and a Glock style. With open carry in Nov., police may have a lot of teenage kids trying to open carry these pellet / BB guns.

Yeah, come to think of it, during that whole stretch of 100+ days here not too long back...not one dang hoodie to be seen.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, come to think of it, during that whole stretch of 100+ days here not too long back...not one dang hoodie to be seen.

Your sarcasm is noted... but in the last several years, the extreme heat didn't matter on bit to the punks in my area here is SW Okla.. where we often have 105+ days. They'd be wearing their hoodies with sweat pouring down their faces and stinking of sweat like week old gym socks. They liked the hoodies because of the big front pockets and they often dropped small shop lifted items into each other's baggy hoods. Now it is over sized basketball shorts w/ large pockets & long tail jerseys covering their shorts.
I think either the hoodie fad is finally wearing off, or the Florida shooting changed some attitudes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom