How are guns sighted at factory or at smith?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been wondering how gun sights are developed to match the point of impact. If anyone has this information, it would be much appreciated, as internet searches aren't bearing fruit.

My brother and I have discussed this, and he thinks that guns are fired from a rest/vise, and sights are ground and drifted to match the hole in the target. I don't believe this, as it doesn't lend itself to mass production, IMO.

Thanks!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trying to sight a gun mounted in a vise will not give the desired results. A gun recoils and vibrates as the bullet moves down the barrel.

For a handgun, a Ransom Rest approximates normal shooting by allowing the gun to recoil.

For mass produced guns, the sights are installed more or less centered or boresighted, and you're on your own for final sighting with adjustable sights. Fixed sights are installed as designed for a specific load, which may or may not be what you intend to use.

Custom guns are often sighted for the specific load to be used, firing the gun normally. Costs $$ for custom labor.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Only manufacturer I know of is S&W. Their revolvers and semi's are factory adjusted to what the standard caliber weight is i.e. .38spl/.357Mag revolver's are adjusted for a 158gr load at standard velocity. semi's 9mm is 124gr, .45acp is 230gr. .44Mag is 240gr, .44spl 246gr.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been wondering how gun sights are developed to match the point of impact. If anyone has this information, it would be much appreciated, as internet searches aren't bearing fruit.

My brother and I have discussed this, and he thinks that guns are fired from a rest/vise, and sights are ground and drifted to match the hole in the target. I don't believe this, as it doesn't lend itself to mass production, IMO.

Thanks!

Front gun sights come in dozens of different heights.
Rear sights come in only a few different heights.
I'm sure the factories design the gun, build it, then figure out which front
sight works best for maximum adjustability and looks best(streamlined).

Whether a tall front sight or a ramp base and shorter front sight, I think is more cosmetics than function as either will work.

Before they assemble the guns. The sight manufacturer has most probably set the sights to a predetermined zero during the assembly process.
Then the gun maker only has to attach the sight and its ready to go.

Over the years the companies have gone from a collimnater(sp) to now using a laser for final adjustments The real final adjustment is up to you as their adjustments are only to get you on the paper.

The reason the sight companies make so many front sight is if your using a non-adjustable rear, you can buy a front in a few thousandths of an inch difference to fine tune where your hitting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom