How do you store your mags & why???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read a write up years back on another forum “the high road”
One of the members there got a call to dispose of “grandpas war 1911”
He picked up the weapon (mag had been loaded full since the late 40’s) and took to the range to test fire. He reported no malfunctions with that mag.
Personally I think about 2 years is the longest I have ever stored ammunition in a firearm and not shot it. (I can’t help it, I need the empties to reload. It’s a viscous circle)
Dispose of Grandpa’s 1911?!?!?!?!?! Hope he left them nothing. What a waste of an old warhorse.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along these same lines, any concerns with the mag springs staying compressed for long periods of time before shooting/unloading? HD ones close by are fully loaded. I generally keep the mags in the safe fully loaded too. Should the ones in the safe be say 10 out of 15 loaded or is it negligible? Last thing I want is a mis-feed in a bad situation.

Loaded. Pistol mags full, rifle mags -2 (habit).
My dad told me that the Marines made them carry -2 in their 1911 side arms (except combat). He specifically cited the spring compression concerns. That popped in my head today since I've been thinking about my CCW systems, hence my post.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad told me that the Marines made them carry -2 in their 1911 side arms (except combat). He specifically cited the spring compression concerns. That popped in my head today since I've been thinking about my CCW systems, hence my post.
2 less in a AR mag in combat zones. Don't want them sticking right off the bat and causing a misfeed.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Metallurgy has made unimaginable strides in Spring Metals. I cycle 2-sets of 10 for use. Never had to replace any. No signs of weakness or malfunctioning of any kind in any Factory Glock, CZ Mec-Gar’s and Ok Industry AR metal mags.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is how it was for us in the Navy on Quarterdeck watch. The mags were down loaded to 5 if I remember correctly. The springs in some of those older firearms were not as good as today’s springs. And the gazillion times those mags were loaded and unloaded didn’t help them.

My understanding is the constant loading and unloading is what does springs in. If left constantly loaded for long periods of time it shouldn’t hurt them.

As for me mine are left loaded. If they get week or start acting up it’s time to order some new ones from “Wolff gun springs”

Latest posts

Top Bottom