How do you store your mags & why???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep some loaded.

Attachments

• Photo--Magazine Tubs.jpg
    Photo--Magazine Tubs.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 0

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of them loaded, but my most recent purchases I just left in the packaging. I don't figure I'll need more than a dozen each gun loaded, I'm not likely to last that long in a firefight.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dispose of Grandpa’s 1911?!?!?!?!?! Hope he left them nothing. What a waste of an old warhorse.
No disagreements from me at all, the point was a full stack of 45 ball compressed the mag spring for what 60 plus years. I think he said it was stored in a trunk in the attic when he found it, then functioned 100%
I think a person has more to worry about a dead primer than a known good mag failing.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a career mechanic, all in the military except at my house.

The number 1 reason torque wrenches go bad and need to be replaced is wrenches left with torque value left on the tool when it gets put away. The springs in a magazine are the same situation. Keep what you need loaded to sleep at night the rest unloaded and in a clean, safe spot like their wrapper you bought them in.

Anyone want to buy a torque wrench or magazine?

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read a write up years back on another forum “the high road”
One of the members there got a call to dispose of “grandpas war 1911”
He picked up the weapon (mag had been loaded full since the late 40’s) and took to the range to test fire. He reported no malfunctions with that mag.
Personally I think about 2 years is the longest I have ever stored ammunition in a firearm and not shot it. (I can’t help it, I need the empties to reload. It’s a viscous circle)
Your story backs up what I read once about mag springs. The writer was an engineer and said that cycling a spring causes it to wear out quicker that leaving it compressed.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the elastic of my boxers cuz I was a boy scout. I do go thru a lot shorts though and the wifes panties just don't cut it. Plus she gets bent out of shape when she catches me wearing them then I might not get lucky for while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom