How do you store your mags & why???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do like Tubb flat springs and I have a few of the Geisselle twisted springs, a JP silent capture and all we need is time and energy to compare them, let’s go!

I do seriously keep almost all of my stuff in its original container for label and protective claims. I am a collector of all sorts of things and would love to have a label on a few things.

I’ve yet to replace a spring in anything but a government ball point pen caused by boredom.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No disagreements from me at all, the point was a full stack of 45 ball compressed the mag spring for what 60 plus years. I think he said it was stored in a trunk in the attic when he found it, then functioned 100%
I think a person has more to worry about a dead primer than a known good mag failing.
I knew your intent of the post and the mag working. I just got hooked up on the old 1911 being disposed of.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a cool dry place.... Because if you store them in the oven you might need oven mitts to get them out sometimes!

Scott Ames

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I keep my SHTF MAGS loaded with 2 tracers first under 28 223s and home protection and carry pistols fully loaded the others are all stored in ammo cans for the specific calibers they are used for. Don’t want to mix up 300BLK and 6.5 Grendel’s!!

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fully loaded, partially loaded (miuns1 or 2), unloaded?
I have a mag loader with 16 empty mags wrapped tightly with Saran wrap in groups of four. I also have 20 thirty round mags loaded and ready to go. Sad to say it has to be this way with the thought of a foreign or domestic revolution which seems almost eminent. God Bless Our Republic.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep my SHTF MAGS loaded with 2 tracers first under 28 223s and home protection and carry pistols fully loaded the others are all stored in ammo cans for the specific calibers they are used for. Don’t want to mix up 300BLK and 6.5 Grendel’s!!
Gonna assume that is your visual signal that you are empty?
That used to be pretty standard practice in Vietnam until "they" realized what it meant.
Just saying.

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent a lot of my formative shooting years around a bunch of Vietnam veterans, and I picked up the -2 habit from them. That’s what I stuck with until the tragic boating accident, anyway.
Correct. However, those were the 20rd magazines and were known to stick when fully loaded. They never fixed the issue until the issue of the 30 rounders.

I had known a few Vietnam vets early in my career, and would come learn that many of them were not to emulated. Many were squared away, but sadly, many were not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom