How Leftist New Jersey Democrat Bill Hughes Created Bump Fire Stocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Enter Slide Fire Solutions owner USAF SSgt(RET) Jeremiah Cottle. Recognizing a need, he created the bump fire stock. He was awarded a U.S. Patent and BATFE legal concurrence in 2010 to manufacture and sell them to the citizenry, which as closely as possible reinstated their lawful ability to obtain something that had been denied to them for a quarter century. You may believe that Cottle's invention "reinstated (as closely as possible) [Americans] lawful ability" to own something like a machine gun, but the fact remains that the FOPA was passed by Congress and was signed into law by the president, and it in fact made it illegal to own a machine gun that was not on the NFA list. No "lawful ability" was "reinstated"; rather, it was just an attempt to get around the law that had been passed in 1986.

So contrary to what the media and politicians are telling you, the bump stock is a "loophole" to partially restore a 2nd Amendment right that was taken from us in 1986. Spinning this any other way is flat our 100% wrong.
Congress continues to make our country's laws, and in 1986 they banned the production and importation of machine guns. Spinning it any other way ignores the facts.
So if you believe bump stocks should be banned, you are in lockstep with Bill Hughes and the State of New Jersey. You can't spin it any other way. To attempt doing so is misleading and disingenuous.
Pure drivel. There is a strong push to do something about bump stocks among the Republican congressional leadership and the leaders of the NRA, most of whom don't know or care about Bill Hughes.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take the FOPA ban which legally allows no more than 176,000 Americans to ever own or posess something at the same time, and denies EVERY other American that right. Now apply it to literally anything you could ever own or possess by law and tell me how that works out.

I'll wait...

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take the FOPA ban which legally allows no more than 176,000 Americans to ever own or posess something at the same time, and denies EVERY other American that right. Now apply it to literally anything you could ever own or possess by law and tell me how that works out.
I'll wait...
I'm a simple man. I don't make laws, I just try to live by them. I understand that you do not like the FOPA, but I was busy working for a living when Congress passed it and Reagan signed it into law. It really wasn't my fault.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a simple man. I don't make laws, I just try to live by them. I understand that you do not like the FOPA, but I was busy working for a living when Congress passed it and Reagan signed it into law. It really wasn't my fault.
And the fact is the bump stock wasn't an attempt to get around the law, it was a success. It was decreed by the Obama administration to NOT be a machinegun. The reason it isn't a machinegun is because it in no way, shape or fashion meets the definition of a machinegun, as codified in 18 USC. So in order to make it a machinegun, Congress has to send a bill to the President and he has to sign it into law. But, unless that law has a carveout for current owners of bumpfire stocks, you instantly make tens of thousands of law abiding citizens, felons. The registry is closed and all bump fire stocks are Post May. So what do you propose we do then?

I'm sorry you don't like bump fire stocks and want them banned. But your analysis of what I wrote is seriously flawed. You're entitled to your own set of opinions, but not your own set of facts. BTW, I was literally on patrol in the middle of the ocean when FOPA happened. I forfeited my opinion of it to defend this nation and our great Constitution. I'm certainly not to blame. ;)

P.S. Feel free to think about it and come up with a way to contest my logic on the Hughes Amendment. I'll still be around. :)

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fair enough. I remember a local gun shop playing a bump fire video nonstop when they first hit the market. I had a distinct foreboding the first time I saw that video. I knew then that some miscreant would eventually use one for a decidedly non-social purpose. That's really all I have left to say on this issue.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fair enough. I remember a local gun shop playing a bump fire video nonstop when they first hit the market. I had a distinct foreboding the first time I saw that video. I knew then that some miscreant would eventually use one for a decidedly non-social purpose. That's really all I have left to say on this issue.
Fair enough, but you can say the exact same thing about every weapon ever invented since the dawn of man. The bump fire stock isn't even particularly noteworthy when considering every other weapon in existence. :(

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone who cherishes the 2nd Amendment needs to understand why the "bump fire" stock came into being. Republicans were working to combat liberal jurisdictions and the BATF in the mid 80's, which were prosecuting and imprisoning American citizens simply for exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. This effort was called the Firearms Owner's Protection Act of 1986. The purpose of this Act was entirely to prevent government abuses against the citizenry for exercising their rights under the 2nd Amendment

The ultra-liberal New Jersey Senator William J. "Bill" Hughes introduced a "poison pill" amendment to the bill that banned civilian sale of any machinegun manufactured after implementation of the Act (May 19, 1986). He was hoping that supporters of the FOPA would decline to vote for the bill due to the amendment, so that his state could continue violating the 2nd Amendment rights of Americans unimpeded. Even if they went ahead and passed it, he would effectively be denying the rights of all the citizenry in the country to own a machinegun. Everyone except approximately 175,000, which is the estimated number of legally transferrable machineguns in the NFA Register.

In essence, Senator Hughes created a "loophole" for the government to deny the citizenry their 2nd Amendment rights. How can you defend that it's perfectly OK and legal for 175,000 Americans to own and use machineguns, but no one else, forever?

Enter Slide Fire Solutions owner USAF SSgt(RET) Jeremiah Cottle. Recognizing a need, he created the bump fire stock. He was awarded a U.S. Patent and BATFE legal concurrence in 2010 to manufacture and sell them to the citizenry, which as closely as possible reinstated their lawful ability to obtain something that had been denied to them for a quarter century.

So contrary to what the media and politicians are telling you, the bump stock is a "loophole" to partially restore a 2nd Amendment right that was taken from us in 1986. Spinning this any other way is flat our 100% wrong.

So if you believe bump stocks should be banned, you are in lockstep with Bill Hughes and the State of New Jersey. You can't spin it any other way. To attempt doing so is misleading and disingenuous. You must decide whether you'll abandon your principles, or stand and fight. Tread carefully...

Thank you for the write up. Very good info.

Well, very interesting. Thanks for bringing this to the table.

Latest posts

Top Bottom