How long to hold a lease spot open?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am the head of our duck lease and I pay for the lease in August. Everyone, except one guy, has been quick to pay their portion. The guy who hasn't paid is a good guy and good hunting partner. We enjoy his company. He still hasn't paid though. How long should I hold this spot for him. Everyone else is paid up and there are several other guys who we run with who would be more than glad to take his spot. I don't want to be mean or rude or "kick him out" but at some point I have to do something. He keeps saying he'll pay next week or I'll come over tomorrow with the money. Yet here we are and no money. Thoughts???

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say screw him. Many a good friendships have been ruined by money. I would just give him an ultimatum and say hey if you dont pay by next Friday, no hard feelings but im letting "bill" take your spot.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He might be in dire straits financially, as many folks are. If he's truly a friend, I'd cautiously inquire about him hunting this year and see if there's a problem.

Would be a shame to lose a good friend over $$.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say be fair but set a date and be sure he knows if it isn't paid by that date then it will go to someone else. I don't like to burn bridges unless they deserve to be burnt. He very well could be having some financial difficulty and if so this should open up that conversation.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is he hunting? If he has not paid he should not be hunting the lease. He has had plenty of time to pay, tell him now or never. If you all could not pay the lease without his money (if you all could not cover him like you have) then you would have lost the lease!

bonecollector

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would NEVER see a friendship lost over money, but he does have to pay his share. I'd bet he is having financially difficulty. I'd open up the conversation and if that IS the case, give him a final date for this year. If he doesn't make it, find a new guy for this year. If he is that good of a friend, assure him he is back in next year when his situation improves.

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
might suggest getting either a contract, bylaws or rules which have a date which fees are due by... with possibly a 10% late penalty and with an exact forfeture date written in stone. That way everyone knows the rules of the club. Works great for us even with close personal friends involved.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not paying up for a lease on time!!!!!
That's sacrilege! You should string him up to the nearest tree immediately.

Or you could just say, hey dude we need the money for the lease ASAP. It's no big deal if you ain't got it, we have a couple of guys willing to help out and fill your spot.
I bet he'd get the idea...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He might be in dire straits financially, as many folks are. If he's truly a friend, I'd cautiously inquire about him hunting this year and see if there's a problem.

Would be a shame to lose a good friend over $$.

I hate to say it but the best way to lose a friend is to loan them $5.
In my case it was a lot more, but you get my drift.

Latest posts

Top Bottom