How many licks does it take? Ask Mr. Owl aluminum 45acp case reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SO i had to figure out how many times i could shoot and reload these aluminum
45acp cases before failure.
I picked 2 random aluminum cci cases from a bucket once fired from the factory load.
I wiped down the case with a dry rag.
Then resized on a Lee carbide sizer and primed with cci 500
I flared the case mouth to .453" as my bullet is .452"
The bullet is a Lee tumble lube 200gr swc
I added 4.4cc of Bullseye powder each time.
I did not crimp.. but i did run the loaded case through the lee carbide crimp die to iron out the case.

Now as you see minimal case working.

After 5 shots by me the cases had looser primer pockets, one case started with a loose pocket.
I cleaned the outside of the cases 2X with 0000 steel wool to remove some blackness.
All other times it was dry cloth wiped down.

I cleaned the primer pockets 1 time and got 1 fail to fire on round 6.
So no more cleaning of the pocket.

On round 9 the primer pocket showed some leakage.. so game over.
NO CASE BODY FAILURE unless you count primer pocket as part of the body.

No 9 reloads and 1X fired from factory.. 10 shots total said Mr. Owl

These were shot from my generous chambered 45 acp Hi-Point pistol.

Pics of the 2 cases after the testing.. notice the tiny tiny amount of black around the primer. this is when i called it quits.

aluminum 45 cases 10x fired 001.jpgaluminum 45 cases 10x fired 002.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you can reload aluminum? I didn't know that... but not steel, right?

So... I was wondering about how many times you can reload regular brass? Does it differ significantly from rifle to pistol? I realize it'll vary some. But I assumed something like maybe 5 or 6 reloads... maybe I'm wrong? How do you all keep track of how many times it's been fired? Or do you just check sizing on it? Wall thickness? I'm a newb and looking to get into reloading, so I was wondering...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I reload steel 45 cases also. no failures in steel after 3 reloads.
If you do not work the brass very much you can have the brass last over 60 reloads so i have read.

I was over working some winchester 308 brass and had case head separation at 6-8 firings.
After i figured out how to minimal resize the cases i have had Zero failures.

The primer pockets get loose before the cases die now.
Hot loads will take their toll on the cases sooner than a mild load.
I got some Lapua 308 brass and it shoots the same at 1 time fired as it does at 4 times fired.
I have not fired any cases more than 4 times yet from the Lapua.
All my winchester 308 brass shot the same from 1x fired until they died, some more than 10 times fired and still going.

I bag my rounds after i shoot them and in the baggies i put a note of how many times the brass has been fired.

I mix my pistol brass as i have found no difference in number of firings , but i do find accuracy differences in head stamp.

I know of some people using/reloading the same pistol brass that they had in the 1960's.
Do not over work it and keep loads mild and you will run out of powder and bullets before you run out of brass usually.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info, thanks, I had reloaded aluminum cases in the lower pressure rounds a couple of times, but was afraid to go more than that.
As usual, your attention to detail provides the rest of us with some really good info. It's now been almost 4 weeks since the last
surgery and boy am I getting antsy to get out and do some non restriction fun things. I had a massive hernia repaired and had the
mesh tacked and sewed to my ribs as well as being sewed to the muscle tissue above and below across my whole abdomen. I had
been told that it was going to be painful, but that was an understatement. I don't do pain pills well, so that makes it worse. I acquired
a 50 Beowolf upper and am ready to start working with it to see what it will do. I won't be able to shoot it for at least two more weeks
per the Doc... Blitzfike

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang Blitzfike you had a bad one.. I got one in the groing area many many moons ago.
They do suck!
Take it easy for a while and all will be good as new.
I was so gunshy to do strenuous stuff after mine for about 2 month's but no issues at all now.
My prayers go out to your swift and successful recovery.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow.... 60 reloads on brass... I had no idea! That's great news! lol

Some good pointers here, I'll be sure to keep them in mind when I finally am able to get into reloading.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of us will not see 60 reloads , that was with modified dies that moved the brass from fired size less than .0005"
I modded some of my reloading dies and have got some that only change fired sizes .001-.002" in different areas of my rifle cases and these are Full length sizing dies.

You may not save money reloading but you will shoot more for less.
It is addictive.. i have about $6000 in components ,,,,,For hunting guns!!!
And i feel like i need more

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good info.. thanks for sharing!! Anyone know how nickel compares to brass or?? Ive heard a guy was reloading 40sw over 25-30 times... guess if you're not running hot loads in high pressure rounds it pays.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nickle is just a coating on a brass case.
I shoot a bunch of nickle cases and never any issues..In fact they size easier and clean easier for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom