How much are COWS worth???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandpa owns a pretty good chunk of land in midwest city, the area got re-zoned a while back so his neighbor could no longer have cattle. The neighbor moved and left 3 cows behind bc he couldn't catch them or they kept running away (to my grandpa's land).

My grandpa cant run them off so he is down to calling animal patrol or letting me and my brother sell them. I dont know squat about livestock and how much they are worth so I need some help from you fellas.

OR another possibility is letting my other family member who has the resources try and breed them, then sell them for us. BUT that part of my family can be a tad nefarious so im weary of this option and Im not sure how the breeding situation would work out anyway.

Any advice is appreciated

Details about the cows:
We believe its a momma and her two calves (a bull and a female)

i216.photobucket.com_albums_cc234_hurst_52_securedownloadmid2_c5f4a4fbfc3b23dc237d7fcde5dbc538.jpg

i216.photobucket.com_albums_cc234_hurst_52_securedownloadmid2_844b76d0d88b830baf1b341a0a8fc06a.jpg

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm no cattle rancher, but I believe what you have there is a cow, a bull calf, and an open or un-bred heifer.

I would imagine someone into cattle would be willing to buy them as long as you can convince them that they are yours to sell.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
All I see is brisket, t-bones, rib eyes and a bunch of hamburger meat. :uhh:

On a serious note, from what I have been reading, cattle prices are on the down slide because so many are heading to auction because of the drought conditions.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worth about 99 cents on the hoof
Looks like you have about a 600 lb cow and a couple of 200 lb calves
so figure around 1K or a little less due to auction prices.
Feed them good and you can get more or have them butchered and have about 4 freezers full of meat.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't watch the cattle market so much as the grain market, I think that prices at the beginning of the week were in the $105/100wt price range for live cattle. Who knows what it will do with the lack of pasture, rising cost of feed(corn) and a lot a producers selling. Farmerbyron probably could fill you better than I can.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My gramps is about a couple days shy of calling animal control so im just trying to make the most of this situation. All he cares about is preserving his land (cant blame him). I really dont care if we get pennies on the dollar for them as long as we get em gone I guess.

264Magnum I might take you up on that if we cant figure out what to do with these guys.

If you guys know anyone spread the word please (619)201-3138

Latest posts

Top Bottom