How much was your actual tax bill in 2011?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much did you pay from your paychecks in taxes in 2011?

• $0 - $9,999

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • $10,000 - $24,999

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • $25,000 - $50,000

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • $50,000 - $100,000

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Taxes? You mean you actually had to PAY? Sucker!

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I found out that when you marry and get a ready made family (step Children) I went from owing an extra 1-5k to getting a refund of more than I payed in. Im pretty sure that wont be happening again next year as the job move I just made pretty much doubled my yearly bring home.

I had been there..having 3 step kids on taxes with previous credits while I was making less. This year when we filed we had gone up enough truly our tax refund was cut in half - then DHS reached in for child support that was just paid off and took well over half of that.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting back more than you paid in is welfare IMO. Wealth redistribution as Obama likes to call it. I don't care how many kids you have. Everyone that has income should pay in something.

Haven't done my taxes yet so I don't know yet. Trying to get them done by tomorrow midnight.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I chose my answer, I included all payroll taxes. If it was a tax that came directly off my check then I included it although I did subtract off my overpayment from that amount. if you really wan't to make your blood boil, don't tell yourself that you only pay 6.2% (4.2% this year) in social security taxes, but that you pay 12.4% (10.4% this year) in social security taxes since your employer also pays a 6.2% tax on your wages and it is generally accepted by economists that were businesses not paying that tax, they would be paying it to you. Same story for medicare 1.45% each = 2.9% total.

So even if you are in the 10% federal income bracket, by the time you are done with federal income and payroll taxes alone and assuming you have wages (not royalties, or interest, etc.) you are paying around 25% of your in the form of taxes. and we haven't even gotten to the state's taxes yet! :)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
...and some of us are "self-employed" and pay that share off the top. So it's not even a "hidden" tax paid by the employer, but paid directly by us. <sigh> So it's that much more noticeable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom