how to build your own indoor grow light system for less than 40.00

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lol these aren't mine.... I didn't even know they were here

Ha! me and a buddy of mine were talking about what his neighbors must think, he practically has an indoor green house to grow his carnivorous plants in. He does make money selling his plants too. Some of those CPs sell for over $40 each once you get them to a year or so old. He has hundreds of plants.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried this years ago, using standard fluorescent lights. Lived in a town house with a basement. build a raised garden in the basement with good dirt, and hung 8' fluorescent over the bed. The beans and tomato's grew, but didn't produce much.

This was in the 70's before the age of information we are living in. I just googled this finding out that the frequency of the lights is the key to good growth.

"HID lights are twice as efficient growing plants as fluorescent lamps; one 400-watt HID lamp emits as much light as 800 watts of fluorescent tubing. All HID lights can run on regular 120-volt household current but they require special fixtures with ballasts."

There is a ton of info out there for growing under lights.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I tried this years ago, using standard fluorescent lights. Lived in a town house with a basement. build a raised garden in the basement with good dirt, and hung 8' fluorescent over the bed. The beans and tomato's grew, but didn't produce much.

Incandescent's got too much far red in the spectrum.
Makes the plant grow too tall on the stem,
and the leaves get all nine, and the whole thing just keels over. Plus, it reduces the potency, which is definitely not what we want.

LED has gotten to be all the rage 'cause it's cooler and saves on the power costs, but me, I'm a sodium vapor man

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
ok dennis, dumb it down for me. what is an HID light?

HID - High-Intensity Discharge - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

These lights can be tricky to work with, operate at an extreamely high temperature and are expensive to buy and install. They are mainly used in high-bay lighting areas - warehouses, manufacturing plants, aircraft hangers, etc. I have installed many - some at Tinker - and while they provide abundant light, cannot be place within a close proximity to other objects, will explode if ANY amount of moisture or skin oils are on the lamp, and once hot will take 15 to 30 minutes to refire and light if turned off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom