How to make fruit wine, 1 gallon method????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made a few batches of beer from kits and now want to try wine. I would like to try small batch instead of going in on a 6 gallon kit. I have blackberries on my property and would like to maybe try that.

Any ideas? recipes? Equipment for sale?

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 gallon method is no different than 5 or 6 gallon method..I have 4 1 gallon jugs of wine on top of my safe right now, been there since September, get a 1 gallon jug from a wine making supply or a health food store, juice and strain your berries to yield 1/3 to 1/2 gallons of juice, it's all subjective, dissolve about 2 cups of sugar in the remaining volume of distilled water, 2/3 to 1/2 gallon, dissolve some wine yeast in a little of the slightly warmed mixture and throw it all together, alcohol content wil be high, if you want it higher, wait till the yeast activity slows a bit,draw out some wine in a small jar, add 1/2 cup of sugar, shake it up and pour it back in. FYI- re-adding sugar is illegal in some countries, (chaptilization?), if it has too much sugar initially the sugar will act as a preservative and slow or stop fermentation, so start out with low sugar and add more later,this is assuming you want high alcohol content (14-18%) make sure your wine yeast will tolerate high alc. content. when it's done add a little dissolved bentonite, wait for the lees to settle, drain it off and play the game I call HAMMERTIME!!!!!!! cheers

Last edited:

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is pretty much the short course like I learned from the Brits I worked with, a long time ago, in Saudi Arabia. We used plastic garbage bins for the fermenting process. And don't let bugs get in your brew, either. The wine won't be an award winning 5 Star - but it is good for mixing and getting relaxed... :naughty::zzz:

1 gallon method is no different than 5 or 6 gallon method..I have 4 1 gallon jugs of wine on top of my safe right now, been there since September, get a 1 gallon jug from a wine making supply or a health food store, juice and strain your berries to yield 1/3 to 1/2 gallons of juice, it's all subjective, dissolve about 2 cups of sugar in the remaining volume of distilled water, 2/3 to 1/2 gallon, dissolve some wine yeast in a little of the slightly warmed mixture and throw it all together, alcohol content wil be high, if you want it higher, wait till the yeast activity slows a bit,draw out some wine in a small jar, add 1/2 cup of sugar, shake it up and pour it back in. FYI- re-adding sugar is illegal in some countries, (chaptilization?), if it has too much sugar initially the sugar will act as a preservative and slow or stop fermentation, so start out with low sugar and add more later,this is assuming you want high alcohol content (14-18%) make sure your wine yeast will tolerate high alc. content. when it's done add a little dissolved diatomaceous earth, wait for the lees to settle, drain it off and play the game I call HAMMERTIME!!!!!!! cheers

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, we have some other homebrewers here! That blackberry bush is a goldmine! PM me if you want a link to a very good homebrewing forum that will make you an expert! It also has a Oklahoma Homebrewing club there too!

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I edited my post, don't use diatomcaeous earth for a clarifier, use bentonite (1/4 tsp.) sorry, I was thinking food storage terms. My son calls this brew "grape flavored alcohol". I just do it for the chemistry, I give it away. Fixin to brew beer next, just need sanitizer and a bottle washer and I'll be ready..not gonna give the beer away.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drank some homemade strawberry wine once. It got me high and I wanted more, but we only had the one bottle and we ran out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom