Hughes Net SUCKS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HughesNet advertises heavily in my area of east TX, and everyone I know that’s tried it has hated it. At my old house, I had Cox/Suddenlink, and it wasn’t good as far as speed goes and kept going up every couple months. At my new place, I ended up going with Viasat, and all I can say about it is that it’s better than nothing. They’re on the same trend as SuddenLink and ding me for an extra dollar or two every couple months. As soon as Elon Musk’s Starlink internet is available in my area, I’m going to tell Viasat where to stick their it.

My iPad is cellular so I don’t have Wi-Fi at my house up there, but according to the service map, I should be able to get on Starlink in Alfalfa county. :anyone:
What you might try at your OK place is a cell phone booster. We added one at our hunting bunkhouse and get 5G connections so use our phone as a mobile hotspot when needing the internet. Doubt it would work well enough for a streaming TV service but definitely gets decent internet that way.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What you might try at your OK place is a cell phone booster. We added one at our hunting bunkhouse and get 5G connections so use our phone as a mobile hotspot when needing the internet. Doubt it would work well enough for a streaming TV service but definitely gets decent internet that way.
I’ve used a Weboost since we moved into our barn here, because there was zero service inside this metal building. I had weak cell service up there, so I bought one for there too. I can stream videos at both places.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HughesNet advertises heavily in my area of east TX, and everyone I know that’s tried it has hated it. At my old house, I had Cox/Suddenlink, and it wasn’t good as far as speed goes and kept going up every couple months. At my new place, I ended up going with Viasat, and all I can say about it is that it’s better than nothing. They’re on the same trend as SuddenLink and ding me for an extra dollar or two every couple months. As soon as Elon Musk’s Starlink internet is available in my area, I’m going to tell Viasat where to stick their it.

My iPad is cellular so I don’t have Wi-Fi at my house up there, but according to the service map, I should be able to get on Starlink in Alfalfa county. :anyone:
Star link has two programs. One for stationary users and another program for RV users because they can now move your signal from satellite to satellite while moving. The technology became available last fall.
You can get starlink at your tx and OK home, just having to move the antenna and receiver.
But, that would leave no service at home if your wife didn't accompany you.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we canceled my Mom’s they wanted the roof mount back, I told them “”I’m 68, I’m not getting on a fuc&ing ladder, if you have to have it you get it, the cards have been cancelled”.
They sent someone after it.
No one wanted the battery.
Mom also had some Direct Tv stuff they said they didn’t want it.

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve used a Weboost since we moved into our barn here, because there was zero service inside this metal building. I had weak cell service up there, so I bought one for there too. I can stream videos at both places.
Which model and how much boost are you getting? I too have a metal barn home and barely any cell coverage even outside? I am using the mobile version of a weboost and it barely works too.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which model and how much boost are you getting? I too have a metal barn home and barely any cell coverage even outside? I am using the mobile version of a weboost and it barely works too.
The one here at my barn is TX is an older model, but it’s the equivalent of the model 470144. I’m pretty the one at my house up there is that model. Here’s a link…
weBoost Home MultiRoom Signal Booster Kit - 470144

Latest posts

Top Bottom