Humming Bird

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before last year we saw a hummer pretty rarely even though we had a feeder out. Last year we were swamped with hummers one or more at the feeder almost constantly. I attributed it to the acre of sun flowers I planted out back attracting them to the area then finding the feeder. They must be back this year as they have gone through 1/2 of a quart feeder in the last 5 days. Haven't planted my sun flowers yet, hope to get it done before the next rain.

If you want hummers, plant sun flowers. I use black oil seeds from a 25 pound bag of bird feed. I sort them through a wire mesh to pick out the largest seeds and get rid of the trash so I can use my old corn planter. For a small plot you can just throw out a hand full right out of the bag, most of them will germinate.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When sweetie was able to take care of stuff, our feeder hung about 12-14 inches from the patio doors and was around 6' high at the top.

We could stand with our nose against the glass and they'd ignore us if we didn't move much. :D

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've certainly got the shrubbery angle covered! Might give them a little more time to see what happens and/or hang them a bit higher.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My ant dam wasn't working to well. We had some bigger ants and they would float to the side and crawl down anyway. I took a water bottle and put it up to the nozzle of a can of wasp spray using the cone shape to direct it right into the bottle. One quick little shot made about a teaspoons worth. Poured it into the cap and ants won't even get close to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom