Humming Bird

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our hummingbirds reappeared this week.

Last night the hummingbird feeder ports froze, so my wife and I de-iced it and then spent the morning watching hummingbirds and as the ports iced we brought the feeder inside and de-iced with a blow dryer. The second time my wife went out one of the little birds was impatient and started feeding while she was holding the feeder - my wife was delighted.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my feeders up for a week but I haven't seen any birds yet. Hope that hard freeze last night didn't affect them too bad.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our hummingbirds reappeared this week.

Last night the hummingbird feeder ports froze, so my wife and I de-iced it and then spent the morning watching hummingbirds and as the ports iced we brought the feeder inside and de-iced with a blow dryer. The second time my wife went out one of the little birds was impatient and started feeding while she was holding the feeder - my wife was delighted.

Years ago, while camping in Colorado, we put out a feeder with six "flower ports" around the base. After they had found the feeder for a day or two, I moved the feeder closer to our chairs. After a while, I put tape over all the ports except for two opposite of each other and sat down with the feeder in my hands. (I had also removed all the perches on the taped over ports.) After a while of them coming to feed and using the last two perches, I then removed those two and held the feeder with my finger "crooked out." They readily landed on my finger to drink.

Do that for your wife and really give her a delight.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fighting is none stop with these guys. They have flown into patio door and knocked them self out several times. Feeder is approx six feet from door on porch, hung another one up maybe try and separate the kids.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fighting is none stop with these guys. They have flown into patio door and knocked them self out several times. Feeder is approx six feet from door on porch, hung another one up maybe try and separate the kids.
Too funny. It seems like every year we have one rogue hummer that keeps beating on the others, trying to keep them away from the goodies. They are a lot more violent than a person would think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom