Hummingbirds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Couldn't decide which thread to revive so let's get a new one going. I am not a photographer so any pics would be great!
Who's getting a feeder out soon? I'm going to clean mine up and hang them tomorrow.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We moved this winter. Went from a hummingbird friendly yard to a hummingbird desert. May be hard to bring them in this summer. Time to get started, though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never put one out, I'm not sure what we would have out here.
We start out with a few pairs in the spring. After breeding we have 20 or so at the end of summer. Angry little birds and really territorial. Put out a feeder now with a 4 cups water to 1 cup sugar and see if you have any scouts come by. Change it out on a regular basis, (every couple of days when warm) and see if any scouts come visit. Wife makes it by the gallon, and keeps it in the fridge. Only fill the feeders about 1/4 full until you see hummers.
Be sure to sanitize the feeders with a little bleach solution every so often.
We love em.
Wife has 4 feeders out to cut down on the competition for a single feeder and at the end of season goes through about a half gallon a day. I'm sure the people in the grocery store think I'm a moonshiner or something when I check out with a 20 lb bag of sugar.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We start out with a few pairs in the spring. After breeding we have 20 or so at the end of summer. Angry little birds and really territorial. Put out a feeder now with a 4 cups water to 1 cup sugar and see if you have any scouts come by. Change it out on a regular basis, (every couple of days when warm) and see if any scouts come visit. Wife makes it by the gallon, and keeps it in the fridge. Only fill the feeders about 1/4 full until you see hummers.
Be sure to sanitize the feeders with a little bleach solution every so often.
We love em.

Good advice! The part I find interesting are the vocalizations when they get territorial.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good advice! The part I find interesting are the vocalizations when they get territorial.
Was sitting on the back deck a decade ago not paying much attention to the hummingbirds fighting at the feeder, when I heard a sound coming from one that was definitely odd. Turned out it was a Rufous male passing thru, sounded totally different than the Rubies. Stuck around for 2-3 days, then split..

Latest posts

Top Bottom