Hunk of Walnut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will check the handy man outlet. Dennis and Victorranger3 I might be taking you up on the pieces as my wood working tools I have access to are in Marland (parents farm). As for the split and seasoned would you just carefully use table saw to make a board out it like they do at the saw mill?

Okie4life-if we can figure out the logistics that would be ideal. I am working that week so might be tough.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Woodcraft - 9301 North May Avenue
Oklahoma City, OK 73120
(405) 748-8844

+1 for woodcraft. they have what you need in stock plus you can order presentation grade woods if you want. it is already kiln dried and ready to go. also, most of their stock is waxed so you can see the coloration and grain. ye be warned though, its a cool shop and you'll walk out with more thn you went in for!

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for the split seasoned stuff I would think you could just pick out a good straight piece, throw it on a table saw and start ripping until you get it down to the size you want to work with.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for the split seasoned stuff I would think you could just pick out a good straight piece, throw it on a table saw and start ripping until you get it down to the size you want to work with.

Unless you are very good with a table saw this is a great way to hurt yourself.

Would be better to at least establish 2 relatively flat sides on a band saw, then move to a table saw if you were so inclined.

Ultimately it would be better to just buy some processed stock, wont be as cheap as the free split wood, but way more stable, and less effort to make it usable.

Just my .02 as a VERY experienced woodworker(that still has all of my fingers)...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you are very good with a table saw this is a great way to hurt yourself.

Would be better to at least establish 2 relatively flat sides on a band saw, then move to a table saw if you were so inclined.

Ultimately it would be better to just buy some processed stock, wont be as cheap as the free split wood, but way more stable, and less effort to make it usable.

Just my .02 as a VERY experienced woodworker(that still has all of my fingers)...

Slabbing the wood with the band saw is my method. I have a 3/4" blade with 3 teeth to the inch.
Becker, if you want some, I have some round that I sealed the ends on two years ago, so that it cures without splitting because of uneven drying.
I turn turkey calls on my lathe.
Give me a shout if your in need.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once you get your piece squared up, find somebody with an end mill and a 7/8 round end bit to route the barrel channel. This way you assure it is perfectly straight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom