Hunting reg changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
March 9, 2013 A service of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation NWTF continues long tradition of conservation donations to Wildlife Department At its March meeting, the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission accepted a donation of $55,950 from the National Wild Turkey Federation, whose long-standing support of wildlife conservation in Oklahoma has resulted in more than $1 million in donations since 1985. The NWTF is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to conserving the wild turkey and other wildlife. There are more than 50 Oklahoma chapters that have helped support the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation on efforts ranging from on-the-ground habitat work and land purchases to educational projects and outreach initiatives. "The National Wild Turkey Federation has been a valuable partner for a long time," said Alan Peoples, chief of wildlife for the Wildlife Department. The donation will be used for a range of projects, including more than $40,000 worth of management work on state wildlife management areas. About $10,000 of the donation will go to the Wildlife Department's National Oklahoma Archery in the Schools Program, which introduces students in 4th-12th grade to competitive and recreational archery through in-class curriculum. Currently about 400 schools across Oklahoma have implemented the program, and this month about 1,230 students will compete in the state shoot at the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds. "This year is kind of special because this year we're celebrating our 40th anniversary as an organization," said Gary Purdy, senior regional director for the NWTF. "Part of that celebration is the partnerships we have with state, federal and provincial wildlife management agencies." In the early 1900s, there were fewer than 30,000 wild turkeys in the northern hemisphere, compared to more than 7 million today. Huntable populations exist in all 77 Oklahoma counties. The Commission also voted to increase antlerless deer hunting days in Oklahoma's Antlerless Deer Zone 10 - which includes portions of the state's eight southeastern-most counties. Effective next season, every day of deer muzzleloader season will be open to antlerless deer hunting in Zone 10. During deer gun season, antlerless hunting will be available in Zone 10 during the first Saturday and Sunday, from Thanksgiving Day through the following Sunday, and on the last two days of the season. " Zone 10 may eventually be open to antlerless deer hunting every day of deer gun season, but we've been through some drought periods and poor reproduction in that region during the last few years," Peoples said. "This is a conservative resolution, but it's a step in the right direction." In the rest of the state, excluding the Panhandle, antlerless deer hunting is open every day during all firearms deer seasons. Zones 2, 7 and 8 have a two-antlerless-deer limit for muzzleloader and a two-antlerless-deer limit for deer gun season. Additionally, the Commission approved a resolution to change the daily limit of pheasants from three roosters to two. Pheasant numbers are currently down as a result of drought in the region. In other business, the Commission approved an increase of about $1.2 million in the Wildlife Department's fiscal year 2013 budget. Highlights of the add-ons include about $300,000 for quail research and research facilities in northwest Oklahoma and $200,000 for converting Department vehicles to natural gas.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Seems that they've been doing the quail research for a long time now. Have they found anything, ideas, theories, other than the thriving populations of everything that eats quail and their eggs. Maybe they should just buy $300,000 worth of quail and turn them loose for us to hunt..........................just kidding of course.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the quail research has been going on for a long time. Ok partnered with Va. Several years ago, using radios implanted on packsaddle. They got a lot of data about habitat, predation and movement of growing conveys. I think the new study with tx. is about what parasites and disease may be doing to the birds.
I personally don't think they have addressed the main problem. Birds are missing from large areas in Osage county that used to be thick with conveys. Nothing has changed in the habitat.
The overpopulation of avian predators is a huge issue in the loss of quail imho. I spend a lot of time in the deer stand watching them hunt pheasant and quail.
I do remember when the wildlife dept raised and stocked quail, until they figured out most didn't live one year to the next. Nick raised quail at his house. The flight pens are still there. Birds that escaped, made it to my little 22 acre spot. I had awesome quail hunting in there for many years. Now only one small covey in there now of 8 birds. I haven't hunted them for several seasons now.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I think they were still getting hunted, especially along the hedge row that separates us. Neighbor to the south............................landowner said something to him this last season though.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Commission also voted to increase antlerless deer hunting days in Oklahoma's Antlerless Deer Zone 10 - which includes portions of the state's eight southeastern-most counties. Effective next season, every day of deer muzzleloader season will be open to antlerless deer hunting in Zone 10. During deer gun season, antlerless hunting will be available in Zone 10 during the first Saturday and Sunday, from Thanksgiving Day through the following Sunday, and on the last two days of the season. " Zone 10 may eventually be open to antlerless deer hunting every day of deer gun season, but we've been through some drought periods and poor reproduction in that region during the last few years," Peoples said. "This is a conservative resolution, but it's a step in the right direction."

About time! I'd be interested to see the data they make these decisions off of. I'm more than sure they know what they are doing, but you can't sling a dead cat without hitting a deer down here.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They know what the biggest impact on quail is, they are just skirting the damn issue. Anyone in agriculture that ever had quail around knows.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
They know what the biggest impact on quail is, they are just skirting the damn issue. Anyone in agriculture that ever had quail around knows.

Are you suggesting the quail be issued haz-mat suits?:D I think it's probably a factor too, but like Dennis mentioned, Osage Co. has little to no ag like your and my areas, and they are experiencing the same decline.

Last edited:

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
where i have always hunted quail in the past there was alot of quail the habit is the same farmers ar'nt doing anything differant then they did 20 years ago,i do'nt know for sure what the problem is but it is'nt habit change or chemicals because none of that has changed,i can'nt believe they hav'nt figured it out yet,i wonder what quail populations are in other states wonder if they have decline as well

Latest posts

Top Bottom