Hunting Tips (please share yours)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scout, scout, scout...

Because of my job, I am getting a new hunting property all of the time (and losing hunting property). Before just going out and throwing up a stand, I always spend at least a couple of mornings and evenings looking at the property from afar, maybe sitting in the truck on top of a hill glassing it. If you are hunting an open meadow with a wooded fenceline that is half a mile long, there are probably certain areas that the deer come out more than others. In a couple of morning and evening settings, you can determine where those areas are THEN place your stand accordingly. Get on google earth, look at satellite images. My favorite thing to look for are natural funnels. Two wooded areas connected by a narrow wooded creek that is open on both sides is an example of this. I used this tactic to get my muzzleload buck. Deer were bedding in one area and using this narrow wooded creekbed to move to other areas.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always be prepared. Have you assumed there were no deer around when you are suddenly surprised by a deer. If only I had been ready. If only I had looked over there. If only I hadn't moved. You can never be too quiet in the woods & keep the wind in your face.

Stay alert. Act like a sniper is hunting for you & looking to kill you. That sniper is the deer and he could be anywhere. Watching & waiting for you to betray your presence. You must see him first & take the first good shot you get (hopefully with a rest).

The prey is always being hunted and knows in order to survive must move slowly, be quiet and stay hidden. It is watching, smelling and listening like it's life depends on it, because it does.

Man I love hunting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom