Need some home A/C help/advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still working on the list of things Joe gave me. If I have to call someone out, I’m going to wait till Monday to try and avoid after hours and weekend extra charges. The last time I did that it cost $200.00 for five minutes of work because a wire had shorted and burned in two on the outside unit.

Monday is Labor Day. It would be triple time if you call then.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I think I’m screwed. I went through the things Joe told me to do and turned the A/C on about 6 last night. It was cooling off last night just before bedtime and getting comfortable. I took the critters out before bedtime and checked the outside unit. It was icing over again.
:explode:

After a few choice words, the critters and I went back inside and I shut everything back down again. I’ll be toughing it out with fans till Tuesday when I can figure out who to call that hopefully won’t charge me a fortune. I don’t mind going in debt for honest work, but there are too many scams out there. After talking to Joe, he pointed out some things that shady contractors do and it’s scary. Borderline on fraud.

:cry11:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can run it with the thermostat turned up so it will cycle, that might give it a chance to thaw between cycles. Even 80-85 degrees indoors beats 95.

I've done this with window units that start icing up (it's usually from being low on freon IME). Gives a little more mileage before tossing 'em.

Just a thought. :drunk2:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you notice that it's freezing up over the weekend go to your breaker box and flip the breaker for the outside unit off for about 30 mins. It should thaw and then when you kick it back on it will continue to cool the house down. It's a PITA but it's better than being uncomfortable especially when sick. It will not work overnight as well but if you get the place cool you may be able to last with it off for the night.

If you just want to stay cool yourself and don't care about anyone else and you have someone to help have them freeze some gallon jugs and get a styrofoam cooler and a small fan. https://brokelyn.com/mythbusters-diy-air-conditioner/ Cut some holes to give you some airflow and a hole for the fan. Smaller bottles work better but big ones will work too. Add some salt to the water to make them last longer. It will get you through till Tuesday.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you notice that it's freezing up over the weekend go to your breaker box and flip the breaker for the outside unit off for about 30 mins. It should thaw and then when you kick it back on it will continue to cool the house down. It's a PITA but it's better than being uncomfortable especially when sick. It will not work overnight as well but if you get the place cool you may be able to last with it off for the night.

If you just want to stay cool yourself and don't care about anyone else and you have someone to help have them freeze some gallon jugs and get a styrofoam cooler and a small fan. https://brokelyn.com/mythbusters-diy-air-conditioner/ Cut some holes to give you some airflow and a hole for the fan. Smaller bottles work better but big ones will work too. Add some salt to the water to make them last longer. It will get you through till Tuesday.

Yep, your friends can be your real friends helping with freezing the jugs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. It’s going to be a long wait till Tuesday.
I'm surprised your AC company didn't offer some window units to substitute until Tuesday.
A friend from Edmond that came down to visit today had AC issues yesterday and the company installed two window units until they get back on the job.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have an A/C company, but after looking at the weather report, we may have some rain coming. On the plus side, things will cool off a bit. On the negative, they may not want to come out in the rain and get soaked working on the outside unit.

The window units are an idea. I may have to shop around for some cheap ones to get by.

Latest posts

Top Bottom