Need some home A/C help/advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is not my week. I’ve been sick all week. As of yesterday I’m a grandpa again and I can’t visit the baby till I’m well. I get up this morning and the house is warmer than usual and when I take the critters out, the outside A/C unit doesn’t sound right.

I check it out with a flashlight and it’s iced over underneath the fan unit. I go back inside and turn the A/C unit to “off” and the blower to “on” like I was told to do years ago when this happened.

The coils on the outside were hosed out and cleaned a few weeks ago. Second time this season for that. The inside filter gets changed every three months. I pulled it out and blew some dirt and dust out with some canned air. I’ll get a new one later today.

The last time the A/C quit was around 2014 and the guy who came out said that if it ever quit again, that the whole unit would have to be replaced because the coolant stuff inside, whatever it is, isn’t made anymore and it isn’t compatible with the coolants used now.

I’m on the border of panic mode. If this thing has to be replaced, I’m sure it’s not going to be cheap. I need to get it checked out by someone who won’t rip me off and if it does need to be replaced, I need a quality unit with a good warranty that isn’t super expensive.

I’ve used Yarbrough here in Blanchard before, but I felt they were really expensive. When it came time to figure the bill, the tech opened up a big notebook binder and went through every page checking things off and adding prices as he went.

I need some advice and recommendations.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spoke with Joe about the problems. He gave me a list of things to check out and try before I call for the service tech. He also said that low coolant could be the problem.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Advanced innovations mechanical. They are awesome. I would trust them to give you the truth. Very nice and professional. He is who I will use the rest of my life. And thankfully we are the same age.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still working on the list of things Joe gave me. If I have to call someone out, I’m going to wait till Monday to try and avoid after hours and weekend extra charges. The last time I did that it cost $200.00 for five minutes of work because a wire had shorted and burned in two on the outside unit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom