HVAC Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was piddling around in my attic this weekend and I noticed that the ducting doesn't seem very secured to the HVAC unit. Looks like leak potential, but I'm not really sure how it works. It is taped up mostly, but it looks like some of the tape is missing or was never installed. Should I get some tape and do some work? What kind of tape should I get?

Also, I'd like to get one of you to come out some time and inspect my unit. Probably in the spring. I'm in Mustang.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was piddling around in my attic this weekend and I noticed that the ducting doesn't seem very secured to the HVAC unit. Looks like leak potential, but I'm not really sure how it works. It is taped up mostly, but it looks like some of the tape is missing or was never installed. Should I get some tape and do some work? What kind of tape should I get?

Also, I'd like to get one of you to come out some time and inspect my unit. Probably in the spring. I'm in Mustang.

Rigid or flex duct?

I'll pass on inspecting your unit...

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is flex. One of the bedrooms has pretty poor flow and one of the intake filters is always considerably less dirty.

I'm in the midst of an HVAC overhaul, new units going in and new flex duct. It appears the SOP for attaching the flex to the plenum fittings is large zip ties. In other areas where they used y's and reducers they zip tied, then taped after they pulled the outer insulation over the fitting. Did they put dampners at the plenum for the runs?

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it si flex pipe you can run duct tape around the seams. be careful so you dont druch the pipe. You might even check the one that you are having flow issues with to make sure it is not kinked or crushed as both will affect flow.

The flex stuff is to be supported to the rafters with nylon strap.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Give TLC (745-2211) a call. The owner lives right here in Mustang. When I switched to him they had to correct several problems that the previous company had made.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was working HVAC, we would attach flanges to the plenum with sheet metal screws and duct butter (HVAC Mastic). Then we'd duct butter the end of the flange and attach the flex duct, and then zip that down. Same thing at the vent end. Make sure to get a real liberal coat of mastic on each end of the duct, that's the key.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was working HVAC, we would attach flanges to the plenum with sheet metal screws and duct butter (HVAC Mastic). Then we'd duct butter the end of the flange and attach the flex duct, and then zip that down. Same thing at the vent end. Make sure to get a real liberal coat of mastic on each end of the duct, that's the key.

Sounds like you may have an issue with Duck Butter Dustin......

Latest posts

Top Bottom