Everything at my job..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost Jack Burton

Not the real Jack Burton but close.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As an on all emergency repair millwright that also has daily shifts it bothers me when they have me bandaid things. It's almost like they don't give a crap that I have a family and personal life and don't like being called to parts unknown at midnight after working a 12hr shift.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My company was bought by Canadian company and their attitude about 'quality' was straight out of the 1950's (quality bad? Blame the quality manager!). In the Arkansas plant's morning meeting the (Canadian) Plant Manager noticed that he couldn't hear the alarms from the ultrasonic (UT) inspection units so he asked the production manager what line speed he was welding pipe at. Then he asked about quality off the UT systems. When he was told UT quality was better than 99% good, he told the production guy to double welding speed while looking sideways at me (QC Manager) knowing I had no power to stop him under the new management. I just said "sometimes in order to go fast you have to go slow" but he just sneered.
Shortly thereafter you could hear a constant stream of 'beeps' as the UT systems went off multiple times on each pipe. About an hour or so later the entire pipe mill was shut down due to being backed up for pipes needing to be 'proved up' and dispositioned.
The next month my boss (corporate) is calling me to ask about all the downtime charged to "waiting on inspection" (inferring Quality dept. is at fault). I explained exactly what happened and he couldn't believe it. I never heard another word about it (I assume he looked at the second-by-second pipe mill records and saw that I was telling the truth).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spent my entire career in electrical/electronic industrial maintenance with different titles.
Always tried to not be the bandaid repairman.
When I did a repair job it was like factory new when completed. Got into a lot of conflicts with production managers, and my standard comment when they complained about taking too long was, I work two speeds. One is the most efficient and the most safe for me. You damn sure won’t like my second option.
Now leave me alone and let me get back to work.
I hated opening a relay cabinet seeing jumpers all over from the bandaid repairmen, so I’d pull off a critical jumper to kill the machine, then write up a safety work order to repair illegally placed jumpers circumventing safeties which would naturally come to me. Companies big motto was safety first, so I jammed that motto down their throats.

Latest posts

Top Bottom