Everything at my job..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why why? It seems like every single thing at my work is held together with duct tape and twisted coat hangers. Fires every day of one thing or another. I'd consider maybe even liking my job if I came in and there wasn't another system or piece of equipment that has to be bandaided to limp along for another day. Supervisors that compliment 'getting the job done'...even half-assed, and possibly dangerous.

Kicking the can down the pothole filled road, smiling that crazy losing my mind way.
FML

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
This here is why I went contractor. Never thought I am better than anyone else at a job, however I have worried about the lack of awareness in dangerous situations.

Coworkers and supervisors who are alcoholics. Peers that are always scheming to get even an extra few cents on a check.

They would do math to get the clock to round over so they get 26min a week of free money by getting the rounding off the time clock.

I never understood the race to the bottom with regular jobs. Worse thing is how they faked that .05 raise as something you earned.

Not saying I don't appreciate a nickel, thing is that even back in 97 when I worked at sonic a nickel wasn't much.

So many jobs I left because I would ask for a raise after a year or two...usually 2 I would ask for 1 dollar.

They did t give it to me I left the following day, my experience is that they can fire you without 2wks notice.....why should I be nice to them?

I have done this since I was a teenager. Owning your labor, telling the customer what you will accept for your time, as to you accepting what they give you.

It is a respect thing on both sides. Highly recommend it if possible.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why why? It seems like every single thing at my work is held together with duct tape and twisted coat hangers. Fires every day of one thing or another. I'd consider maybe even liking my job if I came in and there wasn't another system or piece of equipment that has to be bandaided to limp along for another day. Supervisors that compliment 'getting the job done'...even half-assed, and possibly dangerous.

Kicking the can down the pothole filled road, smiling that crazy losing my mind way.
FML
Yep it'll catch up with them!

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They did t give it to me I left the following day, my experience is that they can fire you without 2wks notice.....why should I be nice to them?
Right out of vo-tech in the 80s I got a job, set up by francis tuttle, in a machine shop that I really liked. I worked hard, showed up on time, clocked in and out on time, produced in spec parts. I set up CNC mills and lathes and was good at it. Run a few parts, check specs with a micrometer or calipers, made adjustments and moved on. There were only a few of us working in the shop. The owners son came in after a short stint in the marines where he was weeded out and stirred up drama in the shop. Me and another dude were let go shortly after that, I was let go for perfomance because apparently the son could run the parts faster than me even though he couldn't set the machines up.

Learned a lesson, always look out for number 1. Employers are not friends and deserve no loyalty.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have the same problem, in some departments. The "problem" is, Supervisor bonuses are tied to their production numbers, not total numbers.

Equipment down means no production. Don't "fix" it, make it run to next shift and let them fix it.

Luckily, most of those types have retired. Some have been promoted and found other "enhancements" to bonuses.

No honor or pride in doing the job.

Top management talks SAFETY
Mid management talks safety, pushes COST
First line talks safety, emphasizes cost, pushes PRODUCTION.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We have the same problem, in some departments. The "problem" is, Supervisor bonuses are tied to their production numbers, not total numbers.

Equipment down means no production. Don't "fix" it, make it run to next shift and let them fix it.

Luckily, most of those types have retired. Some have been promoted and found other "enhancements" to bonuses.

No honor or pride in doing the job.

Top management talks SAFETY
Mid management talks safety, pushes COST
First line talks safety, emphasizes cost, pushes PRODUCTION.
Production
Quality
Safety

Pick any two. :D

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Right out of vo-tech in the 80s I got a job, set up by francis tuttle, in a machine shop that I really liked. I worked hard, showed up on time, clocked in and out on time, produced in spec parts. I set up CNC mills and lathes and was good at it. Run a few parts, check specs with a micrometer or calipers, made adjustments and moved on. There were only a few of us working in the shop. The owners son came in after a short stint in the marines where he was weeded out and stirred up drama in the shop. Me and another dude were let go shortly after that, I was let go for perfomance because apparently the son could run the parts faster than me even though he couldn't set the machines up.

Learned a lesson, always look out for number 1. Employers are not friends and deserve no loyalty.
Eh, I have had some bosses that were good people. Had one that didn't take no for an answer when I was homeless.

I was stable enough to be at work everyday and ready for it, but for 4 months he had no idea till he saw me on a sidewalk.

That guy even asked me to be one of the 6 that carried his wife to her final resting. Far as the company, no...they never have loyalty as they demand from you.

It ain't always sunshine and rainbows when you contract either, first 2 years I did this, I slept in my truck, took showers at gyms. Barely had enough to eat a meal each day.

Also during rona had one contract demand my compliance to take the vax, or get that test.

You know how liberating it was to say NO! And start packing my stuff up? I am in a very specialized field that sure...others are out there, I have competition.

I answer the phone, I make sure that I do better than anyone else, and my customers know this.

They eventually made exceptions, and I have a customer for life with them, because I stood my ground.

Latest posts

Top Bottom