Any HVAC Techs Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been in the industry for over 20 years and if you keep the window screen clean it's not going to cause problems, what causes problems is when the condenser coil gets stopped up or sprayed from the outside and the debris is pushed into the coil. I could go on for days about it, some condenser coils are double row and must be separated to clean them properly. As far as cheap fiberglass filters, don't use them unless you want to be cleaning your evaporator coil and blower wheel etc etc. It your having airflow problems the cheap filters are a band aid fix. Each system has different requirements as far as airflow. Typically around 400cfm per ton average. I don't put anything around my unit and wash it out a few times a year.
Let me back up a little bit, I would basically recommend what the manufacturers of your unit suggests. And ductwork being undersized is one of the biggest problems I come across in the Tulsa area.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me back up a little bit, I would basically recommend what the manufacturers of your unit suggests. And ductwork being undersized is one of the biggest problems I come across in the Tulsa area.
Next time you have an under warranty compressor fail let manufacturer know there was a screen wrapped around the unit and see if they replace it

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope you're not an HVAC tech for a living ,if so you need to apologize to your customers and your boss. honestly you sound like one of those apartment maintenance goobers who almost know what they are talking about but not really
I hope you learn to think for yourself some day. Not everything is one size fits all.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been in the industry for over 20 years and if you keep the window screen clean it's not going to cause problems, what causes problems is when the condenser coil gets stopped up or sprayed from the outside and the debris is pushed into the coil. I could go on for days about it, some condenser coils are double row and must be separated to clean them properly. As far as cheap fiberglass filters, don't use them unless you want to be cleaning your evaporator coil and blower wheel etc etc. It your having airflow problems the cheap filters are a band aid fix. Each system has different requirements as far as airflow. Typically around 400cfm per ton average. I don't put anything around my unit and wash it out a few times a year.
Great advice.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you obviously aren't understanding the issue. if you are an HVAC tech and advising your customers to put screens around their condenser then you should be prepared to pay to replace their compressor when it fails and the warranty is denied because of the screen the the installation instructions clearly say not to do
If your a HVAC tech and your answering the same service call over and over due to plugged coils due to an extreme environment of contamination (like cottonwood seed) plugging up a unit, I hope you’ll be honest and recommend a fix even if it’s not in the brochure for the unit. Cmon man you gotta problem solve sometimes.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y’all take care, gonna go clean my HVAC screen on my unit. This thread is no longer interesting. Everything has been covered.

Shoot safe everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom