Any HVAC Techs Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand how a screen can both filter enough to make a difference and not alter air flow. But I could see in an extreme circumstance, a screen, while not recommended could save some time. I don't have any HVAC experience.

Maybe @Rooster1971 can throw his opinion in.
the problem is more the turbulence it creates causing the air not to cross the coil as designed. there is a reason every manufacturers installation manuals say they must have 12 inches minimum of clearance all the way around .that means from fences,walls ,shrubs ,trash cans ,screens or anything else

Last edited:

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the problem is more the turbulence it creates causing the air not to cross the coil as designed. there is a reason every manufacturers installation manuals say they must have 12 inches minimum of clearance all the way around .that means from fences,walls ,shrubs ,trash cans ,screens or anything else
What about all the turbulence created by the crap blocking airflow? I’ll keep spending 10 min a week clearing off the screen and skip the long tear downs to remove all that garbage.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand how a screen can both filter enough to make a difference and not alter air flow. But I could see in an extreme circumstance, a screen, while not recommended could save some time. I don't have any HVAC experience.

Maybe @Rooster1971 can throw his opinion in.
Catches big cottonwood seeds and larger depths before it gets into the coils to plug up airflow. If cleared off frequently it prevents the big tear downs.

As for a tiny mesh screen blocking airflow, guess I don’t need to close windows in my house since air can’t just pass right thru it unrestricted.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the problem is more the turbulence it creates causing the air not to cross the coil as designed

Catches big cottonwood seeds and larger depths before it gets into the coils to plug up airflow. If cleared off frequently it prevents the big tear downs.

As for a tiny mesh screen blocking airflow, guess I don’t need to close windows in my house since air can’t just pass right thru it unrestricted.
you obviously aren't understanding the issue. if you are an HVAC tech and advising your customers to put screens around their condenser then you should be prepared to pay to replace their compressor when it fails and the warranty is denied because of the screen the the installation instructions clearly say not to do

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you obviously aren't understanding the issue. if you are an HVAC tech and advising your customers to put screens around their condenser then you should be prepared to pay to replace their compressor when it fails and the warranty is denied because of the screen the the installation instructions clearly say not to do
You are not understanding how air works.. Its a tiny mesh screen that does not in any way affect airflow.

So a thin screen that air can pass right thru undisturbed or your coils getting filled with debris... Yeah Common sense tells me what I am going to do.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never said air won't go through a screen I said it won't flow across the coil as designed. your argument is invalid, so either you are arguing just to argue or you are truly an idiot

Last edited:

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are not understanding how air works.. Its a tiny mesh screen that does not in any way affect airflow.

So a thin screen that air can pass right thru undisturbed or your coils getting filled with debris... Yeah Common sense tells me what I am going to do.
It absolutely affects the velocity and angle and time the air is contact with the coil surface
turn your water hose on and then press a screen over the end and see if the flow doesn't change.
you seem to have no grasp of the subject. will it work with a screen around it? yes . will it work properly with no loss of efficiency......not a chance. the unit will be over worked and will under perform

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom