Everything at my job..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always hated being a 'fireman'. Putting out 'fires' was a very unproductive part of a day. When I moved to a different location, I always tried to implement the 'Smokey the Bear' attitude with the crew. Don't let anything get to the 'fire' stage. If they could fix something cheaply and easily, just go ahead and do it! Let me know how it was fixed. I'd take care of the major/expensive issues. Lots less stress for everyone involved!

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
We have the same problem, in some departments. The "problem" is, Supervisor bonuses are tied to their production numbers, not total numbers.

Equipment down means no production. Don't "fix" it, make it run to next shift and let them fix it.

Luckily, most of those types have retired. Some have been promoted and found other "enhancements" to bonuses.

No honor or pride in doing the job.

Top management talks SAFETY
Mid management talks safety, pushes COST
First line talks safety, emphasizes cost, pushes PRODUCTION.
Used to work for a grocery store fulfillment center in PA that was similar to production demands.

I did maintenance on the forklifts and pallets, place was a meat grinder for those out on the floor, everything was metrics and just figure it out.

Warehouse the size of the hobby lobby warehouse, but always 38° had HR and those types that have "clicks" and drama....definitely some people were favorites.

It was just so weird how people gravitated towards the culture, and would be mean to each other for advancement.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Learned a lesson, always look out for number 1. Employers are not friends and deserve no loyalty."

Wif's Granddad went to work at 14, sweeping floor and emptying trash. Retired at 65, as the plant manager. Never worked for any other company.

I was working for a psychopath. My lead tech got into an argument with psycho, when he was instructed to do something unethical and charge customer for repair. He refused and walked out.

Psycho comes into shop and tells me to certify the repair and ship out. I refused.
Psycho says, "there is no company loyalty, anymore." Told him there was more loyalty to company than he had to employees or customers.

A month later, I was called to manage a start up shop. I hired 7 of the 9 techs working for the Psycho and took 62 of the 63 customers.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Learned a lesson, always look out for number 1. Employers are not friends and deserve no loyalty."

Wif's Granddad went to work at 14, sweeping floor and emptying trash. Retired at 65, as the plant manager. Never worked for any other company.

I was working for a psychopath. My lead tech got into an argument with psycho, when he was instructed to do something unethical and charge customer for repair. He refused and walked out.

Psycho comes into shop and tells me to certify the repair and ship out. I refused.
Psycho says, "there is no company loyalty, anymore." Told him there was more loyalty to company than he had to employees or customers.

A month later, I was called to manage a start up shop. I hired 7 of the 9 techs working for the Psycho and took 62 of the 63 customers.
I had a psyco supervisor, used to call me up when he was drunk, call me a bunch of names, just mean mean drunk.

Well I got tired of it, so one day I recorded it, 77min where he was talking about not just me, but everyone.

Did the old "all" on the company email, with a link to the audio file. Oh...I got fired for insubordination lol. I knew it was coming, he died from liver failure a few years ago.

That company is a direct competitor of mine now, and I take contracts from them all the time, because I know how their training works, I know what they do, and what they don't do.

I dont outright say they don't do this, but I show the customer an inspection of how I do it, and many have commented about how "they don't do this"

I always say, I can't speak of what they competitor does and or doesn't do, this is what I do.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learned a lesson, always look out for number 1. Employers are not friends and deserve no loyalty.
You are correct. Worked for same company for 40+ years. #1 right under the owner. Managed multimillion $ business for 30 of those 40 years. Gave 6 month notice I was going to retire. Final IRA contribution was withheld. On final day sub sandwich party and $100 gift certificate. See ya. Thankfully I took care of myself thru the years and retired debt free and a small I mean small nest egg.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Health, safety and environmental is my profession. Unfortunately, the situation you described is all too common. I always ask my crews to give me an opportunity to fix the problem. However, often companies won’t provide the resources, and that’s why OSHA exists. I would recommend that if you feel you are in danger in your workplace and your concerns are being ignored, make an OSHA report. OSHA is stretched thin, but they make some response to all reports. Sometimes companies will mysteriously find the resources if the government starts inquiring. OSHA is serious about protecting the identity of those that wish to remain anonymous.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why why? It seems like every single thing at my work is held together with duct tape and twisted coat hangers. Fires every day of one thing or another. I'd consider maybe even liking my job if I came in and there wasn't another system or piece of equipment that has to be bandaided to limp along for another day. Supervisors that compliment 'getting the job done'...even half-assed, and possibly dangerous.

Kicking the can down the pothole filled road, smiling that crazy losing my mind way.
FML
$$$$, too cheap, maximize profit, incompetent business practices, time waiting on parts, poor maintenance, lack of spares, buy one at a time, etc. It's everywhere, you're not alone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom