Hypothesis on how the U.S. Military would crush a domestic rebellion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More Generals for our side.
I'm not so much worried about the generals--remember, most of the "best" generals wore gray in the Late Unpleasantness Between the States, but tail-end Ulysses accepted the surrender of the top graduate in his class at the Point. The strength of our military has traditionally been in the mid-rank officers (1LT/CAPT/MAJ) and NCOs; those are the guys (and gals) who make it work when the rotating oscillator starts spinning up.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
California cannot support its large welfare population on its own, and Mexico won't either. So, support for an insurrection would mainly be relegated to gangs. A lot of institutionally dependant people would not want to lose their free entitlements.

Thats a nice hypothosis, however, it would not go down that way. Entitlements would end.

What, do you think checks will still be going out in a SHTF scenario?

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not so much worried about the generals--remember, most of the "best" generals wore gray in the Late Unpleasantness Between the States, but tail-end Ulysses accepted the surrender of the top graduate in his class at the Point. The strength of our military has traditionally been in the mid-rank officers (1LT/CAPT/MAJ) and NCOs; those are the guys (and gals) who make it work when the rotating oscillator starts spinning up.

Isn't it interesting how often the "tail-enders" rise to the top once they leave the classroom and hit the battlefield?

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
His assumptions about the way a rebellion would go down are all wrong. He assumes it would come from a radical citizens group. A rebellion is much more likely to come from a State Government with National Guard forces. Citizens groups might join in the fight should it come to that. Secondly, he assumed that the U.S. military forces that our enemy is currently trying to make life difficult for, would follow their orders without question. Sure, some would, but nowhere near enough if it came to it. In the end, we have them surrounded.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe that any real officer or soldier serving this nation could be coerced into violating posse comitatus.

So who gave the orders to disarm the public after Katrina? Were those not "real soldiers" going door-to-door (but only in the more affluent neighborhoods) and forcing people to surrender their arms at gunpoint? I don't have the faith you do, I'm afraid. And yes - my good friend is a Lt. Colonel, and my cousin's husband is a full-bird Colonel, who also works for the DHS in D.C. There are plenty that would defect before they'd follow or give orders like that, but I feel there are a whole lot more that would "do their job".

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His assumptions about the way a rebellion would go down are all wrong. He assumes it would come from a radical citizens group. A rebellion is much more likely to come from a State Government with National Guard forces. Citizens groups might join in the fight should it come to that. Secondly, he assumed that the U.S. military forces that our enemy is currently trying to make life difficult for, would follow their orders without question. Sure, some would, but nowhere near enough if it came to it. In the end, we have them surrounded.

There are foreign troops here...that is who would be used for sure.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are foreign troops here...that is who would be used for sure.

Sh00ter,

Read what I wrote earlier about foreign troops such as at Ft Sill and Holloman AFB. Any thesis based around those foreign troops being a "disarm America" force is not sound and should be reconsidered.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

There were factors outside the battlefield that determined much of the outcome of the civil war. Larger population and manufacturing base in the north lent itself to winning a war of attrition.

Not to mention the long line of failed generals before Grant took command. Law of averages had to kick in at some point.

True that sometimes the last or middle pack of the class can turn out to be the best but I still would rather have the head of the class in med school work on me than the guy that skated by.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There were factors outside the battlefield that determined much of the outcome of the civil war.
That's true, but my point was that the generals shouldn't be overestimated. I don't know anybody who would've taken the general staff of the Union over the general staff of the Confederacy, yet the Union won, and won decisively.

And would you choose Grant over Lee? Grant's ideas in combat had a tendency to work out poorly for them Union boys...

Latest posts

Top Bottom