I Am Thinking Of Cutting Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very true. There is a measurement of signal vs noise, its called Signal to Noise Ratio, or SNR. On digital anything over 32 dB is good and anything over 38 is perfect. You can have a weak signal but as long as the ambient noise is low, it won't make a difference.

That being said, using an antenna that is tuned to UHF will get you a better signal. So if you have an old antenna or rabbit ears and a few channels will pixel now and then, getting a UHF only tuned antenna can clear that up. Now if you are going to split that signal for multiple tv's I would recommend throwing in an amp anyways.
What amp would you recommend? I can pull in 38 to 41 channels from OKC. As the crow flies, I am 80-90 miles away. I would like to be able to pull in channel 43. Thanks!

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question for you guys that put an antenna in the attic. Does it tie into your existing cable and you can get tv in mutiple rooms off that one antenna?

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question for you guys that put an antenna in the attic. Does it tie into your existing cable and you can get tv in mutiple rooms off that one antenna?

Disconnect any cable from any cable, DSL, or satellite service where it enters your house. Connect your attic antenna at that point, and install a signal splitter that has enough outputs to feed signal to each TV you have. That's what we have done and everything works just fine.

If you are running cable internet, make sure it has separate cabling from the TV.

Woody

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you can put it in the attic but...the signal may be weaker due to roofing and things that may be in the way. I read that if you have metal roof it's difficult to receive a good signal.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We cut big cable many years ago and every time i go to my moms to visit we are reminded why. She has Dish and it is absolute garbage. 200 channels, 75 of which are shopping networks, and then a hodge podge of other junk that ruins your mind like E! And Bravo.

We went wih Sling for a while, but even then realized we were only really watching Food Network or HGTV and never touched the rest and it just wasnt worth our money, so we dropped that too. Now we just watch over the air. We can watch the old westerns and Andy Griffith, and PBS for things like Nova or Nature.

I also did not like throwing my money to big media conglomerates who spew nothing but leftist filth anyway. I dont want my daughter growing up glued to the TV. We spend many evenings with the radio playing the classical station throughout the house while reading. A much more satisfying life than watching some wannabe Britney Spears with a sappy life story trying to become a pop star on American Idol or the Voice.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For anybody that is worried about splitting and feeding alternate TVs I highly recommend you go look at something like the Silicon Dust HDHome Runs.

They usually come in 1,2 and 4 tuner models and feed directly to your network. Allowing you to have 1 antenna out of the way, usually much higher power, feeding to your LAN. Coupled with something like Plex Pass, you also get built in DVR support and other options. Been off the TV side for a few years and just keep our 120mb line going.

Maybe one day we'll get municipal fiber and get off the telecom teat entirely.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What amp would you recommend? I can pull in 38 to 41 channels from OKC. As the crow flies, I am 80-90 miles away. I would like to be able to pull in channel 43. Thanks!

Antronix is the amp brand we use. They come in a variety of configurations. If its 3-4 get the 4 port. Power is supplied by coax either as a direct power supply or through a power inserter off the #1 port (makes it so you don't have to have a power outlet where the amp is located).

Some other good brands are Channel Master and PCT. Or if you make it to tulsa let me know, I've got a few I've saved over the years that are still in perfect working order that I can spare.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Antronix is the amp brand we use. They come in a variety of configurations. If its 3-4 get the 4 port. Power is supplied by coax either as a direct power supply or through a power inserter off the #1 port (makes it so you don't have to have a power outlet where the amp is located).

Some other good brands are Channel Master and PCT. Or if you make it to tulsa let me know, I've got a few I've saved over the years that are still in perfect working order that I can spare.

I think that is exactly what I have my antenna feeding in to and then supply three drops. Have a tuner card and TV that are used most of the time as well as a TV that just sits there in a bedroom. Want to get a HD Homerun sometime though. I rarely use the tuner card and would enjoy having Plex just record stuff so I can watch it later if I want to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom