I built my grow light :-)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lead Slinger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looking nice. I love salad/greens more than any other food. I've found it can help to secure lights with zip ties, permitting finer and easier adjustments.

But on the other side of the coin, I've heard that in some instances you may want to hold off on strong lighting and focus on root development at first. Smart pots are awesome for this.

All I know is...I want some nice aquaponics set up.

Lead Slinger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Indeed. I've heard that with the rather recent advancements in LED/LLE technology, some people have preformed interesting experiments using specific wavelengths of light, and occasionally combinations thereof, at various stages of plant development.

These systems generally require more cost up front. But in time, with a reliable set up, they can out preform most other systems in many ways. Average life of the diode, dollars per lumen, heat output, and it's profile are all important factors. They are pretty thin and cool, allowing more room for growth. And more durable and water resistant than other lights.

But at the same time, nothing beats battle proven technology that can be picked up (and quickly replaced) very cheaply anytime on craigslist or ebay.

If I were to go indoor, I can't really say which I'd choose. But on either account, I'd probably use that PVC support. :D

IIRC, Lowes carries a 2 pack of single outlet 15 minute interval timers for around ten bucks.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The flouresent lamps with the most stark, white light are those labeled for Basement/Bathroom. They are on the "cold" (blue) end of the light spectrum and are the closest to natural sunlight. While the number of lumens (light intensity) is necessary, the color of the light is just as important.

Thats what I got, the cold end of the spectrum. :-)

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Indeed. I've heard that with the rather recent advancements in LED/LLE technology, some people have preformed interesting experiments using specific wavelengths of light, and occasionally combinations thereof, at various stages of plant development.

These systems generally require more cost up front. But in time, with a reliable set up, they can out preform most other systems in many ways. Average life of the diode, dollars per lumen, heat output, and it's profile are all important factors. They are pretty thin and cool, allowing more room for growth. And more durable and water resistant than other lights.

But at the same time, nothing beats battle proven technology that can be picked up (and quickly replaced) very cheaply anytime on craigslist or ebay.

If I were to go indoor, I can't really say which I'd choose. But on either account, I'd probably use that PVC support. :D

IIRC, Lowes carries a 2 pack of single outlet 15 minute interval timers for around ten bucks.

Interesting, I will have to research more on this light stuff LOL I found my timers but my shop light is a 3 prong outlet and the timer was just a little ole two pronger for lamps and such :-/ oh well I don't mind hoofing it up and down the stairs and lord knows the exercise won't hurt me.

Lead Slinger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yea, I've ran into the 2/3 prong dilemma myself. Nothing an old extension cord or cheap adapter can't fix. Now the exercise thing, still searching for the quick fix on that one. :D

The lighting issue can get pretty hotly debated at times. Several side by side comparisons have been done, most of them apples to oranges. Ideally, I'd like to bring the outside light in. Nature knows best. I've been rolling the idea around for a while. I wonder if any sort of fiber optics could hold high light densities. If so, maybe we could have a highly reflective concave light receiver, and pipe it inside to your climate controlled garden.

Latest posts

Top Bottom