I hate scams!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to find a new motorcycle for roadtrips. I found one on Craigslist in OKC for a nice looking 03 Fatboy. After a few emails back and forth, he said he wanted to use Google Checkout to do the transaction (which is like PayPal). Turns out, the guy wanted me to wire the money to an account in Hungary! WTF?!?!?! No way in h*** am I going to do a bank to bank wire transfer to an account overseas and hope he ships the bike to me! I HATE dishonest people! :finger:

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Craigslist is LITTERED with scams. Only way I'll buy anything substantial on there is through a FTF transaction, which is what craigslist was designed for anyway. If it wasn't, it would be called ebay.

I also came across a scam. I was looking to get a good gas-friendly car. Found a nice toyota corolla for a nice price (which is the first giveaway anyway). As soon as I started talking to the "lady", she mentioned
it belonged to her late veteran husband, and she would ship it to me. At that point is was 99.9% sure it was a scam. Every attempt I made to get ACTUAL information out the person was met with dodgy replies and
reassurances that I should just pay for it and have them ship it. NO WAY.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a guy ask me to send him $$ to alaska for a 4 wheeler, The pic. he had posted showed a car in the background with Texas plates??? I saved my money

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anytime you buy/sell on a place like craigslist.com you really have to be careful.

I sold a boat to a fellow in Arkansas last week. We took our time to make sure that both of us were safe in the method of transferring the boat to him and me in getting my cash.

He gave me the name of the bank. I talked with an officer of the bank. When we made the transfer I signed a bill of sale at a neutral bank site and he faxed that to his bank. That was the signal for his bank to wire the cash to my bank. I knew within 10 minutes that the cash was safely in my bank. Then I signed the title transferring the boat to him.

By the time we had worked out the details we both knew we were dealing with an honest person. Any time you are dealing with more than a hundred or so you really have to be careful to make sure you are protected from fraud.

Previously, I had a guy who simply wanted to give me a cashiers check and drive my boat and trailer away. This guy was so anxious that it sent warning signals immediately. I told him that I needed to have some information regarding his bank etc. He got all huffy and that told me he was a scam artist just trying to find an unwary seller.

Be really careful about how you do these deals from people you don't know.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One time, I seen one of those big fiberglass steers they used to place at the Sirloin Stockades on Craigslist. Some lady from El Reno wanted me to wire $500 to Cameroon on account of her recent retirement to Indochinea. I said 'pfft, that's donkeyballs', and jus went without that big steer. Now my kids ain't got no cow playhouse, but aint no bastard in Cameroon got my $500, either...

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
there are more scams on craigslist than anywhere else on the WWW.
constantly get auto generated scam responses from adds posted to craigslist.
they get pretty sly and are constantly changing.

for adds posted to craigslist... you will get 10 scam response to one reply from a real person.

anymore unless I get a phone number and speak to a real person,,, it's assumed yet another scam...

I'm looking to find a new motorcycle for roadtrips. I found one on Craigslist in OKC for a nice looking 03 Fatboy. After a few emails back and forth, he said he wanted to use Google Checkout to do the transaction (which is like PayPal). Turns out, the guy wanted me to wire the money to an account in Hungary! WTF?!?!?! No way in h*** am I going to do a bank to bank wire transfer to an account overseas and hope he ships the bike to me! I HATE dishonest people! :finger:

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone notice how the scams on craigslist are usually under $3,000? Is there a reason for this? I've noticed ATV's boats, cars, etc. worth $6k to $7k priced at $2,900. The scammers are getting lazier because the ads are really easy to spot now. In the past I've learned that the longer their story as to why they're selling, the faster you should run from the deal. I'm just wondering if staying under $3k only means a misdemeanor v. felony if you get caught or something like that.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a lady that was scammed on wiring money to Calif for a car. She reported it to police, but I don't think they caught 'em. I will only deal ftf for a transaction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom