I Hate Scorpions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Father in law got stung on the foot last weekend when he got in the shower (near Foyil). Didn't see it on the drain.
I stepped on one last year in the dark and it stung me in the side of the foot.
Didn't hurt that bad, bout like a bee sting.
But I sure don't go walking around barefoot in the dark anymore.:hellno:

This is what I'd like to do to them all :flamed:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do they come up through the drain? I have a septic system and unless they are dropping down through the roof vent pipe, they cant get in the pipes and they they have to go through the P trap filled with water?
I always assumed when I found one in the sink or tub it was becasue they crawed up the wall and ended up in the sink or tub and couldnt climb out. Like the glass jar theory, its too smooth to climb?
And yes, a recluse climbed out of my work boots once when I picked them up and walked to the bed to sit down and put them on.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen more of them this year than I have for a while. They hide ANYWHERE!

A couple of years ago, I was sitting on the floor watching TV, it was dark in the room except the light from the TV.
Something ran across the rug beside of me, so I smashed it with my hand, only to find it was a scorpion.
Since then, I am very careful what I smash and when!

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do they come up through the drain? I have a septic system and unless they are dropping down through the roof vent pipe, they cant get in the pipes and they they have to go through the P trap filled with water?
I always assumed when I found one in the sink or tub it was becasue they crawed up the wall and ended up in the sink or tub and couldnt climb out. Like the glass jar theory, its too smooth to climb?
And yes, a recluse climbed out of my work boots once when I picked them up and walked to the bed to sit down and put them on.
I have a septic system too and it's hard to believe they climb out of the drain but I did find one in the sink one time.
It's almost as difficult to believe he climbed up the cabinets and down into the sink as it is to believe it came out of the drain.

I read an article in newsok that black widows are prolific this year too because of the mild winter and warm wet spring.
That's probably why so many scorpions this year too.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a septic system too and it's hard to believe they climb out of the drain but I did find one in the sink one time.
It's almost as difficult to believe he climbed up the cabinets and down into the sink as it is to believe it came out of the drain.

I read an article in newsok that black widows are prolific this year too because of the mild winter and warm wet spring.
That's probably why so many scorpions this year too.
I tend to believe they come in through the attic and find a recessed light fixture to crawl though and its just blind luck they fall off the ceiling and into a sink or tub. I know the fiddle backs come in that way. They live in attics until it gets real hot and then they go down to the cooler sheetrock and find a recessed light by accident.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Get a black light, it'll make the scorpions glow a bright funky green. Easier to find them and kill 'em. Wife loves to take her BL and hunt them, got 10 ouside the house night before last.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tend to believe they come in through the attic and find a recessed light fixture to crawl though and its just blind luck they fall off the ceiling and into a sink or tub. I know the fiddle backs come in that way. They live in attics until it gets real hot and then they go down to the cooler sheetrock and find a recessed light by accident.

Fiddlebacks for sure hide up in attics, walls and in any dark places. We have a ton, and honestly, I'm more afraid of them than the scorpions. I also questioned scorpions being able to come up through septic system, but two pest control people have told me now that it's common. I have found two scorpions in the tub in the past couple of years and there's no way possible that they could have climbed on the wall and fell in - our surround is tiled and slick as glass. There's a chitload of Black Widows out here too...but thankfully they all seem to stay outside. I've never seen a year with this many dangerous critters around the house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom