I need a good first pistol, any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say the malfunctions were because of your shooting or bad ammo. It being a 9mm has nothing to do with it malfunctioning. For a good first pistol and you plan on carrying it concealed, I would say look in the forums for a Glock 19 or if you want a .40sw, try a Glock 23. If it's not going to be used for concealed carry, a Glock 17 or 22. Glock 22's can be had for under 400 dollars at places like summitgunbroker.com or aimsurplus.com. In fact, aimsurplus has Glock 17's with night sites for 389 http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1Glk17&groupid=3

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Good advice here, go to a range that lets you and the wife try out some different pistols to shoot. Nothing worse than buying a new pistol only to hate it at the first round fired. We've probably all been there.

What is your goal for these pistols? Do you plan to get a CCW license and carry? Home defense? Range? If you do plan to carry, how do you plan to carry? Answers to these questions will push you in one direction or another...

Don't let your experience with someone else's pistol sour you on 9mm. It is a great caliber for many reasons. Rent a 9mm and 40s&w and shoot both as well as anything else you are considering.

Good luck,

Alan

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with having a 9mm as one of the first pistols. Another one to consider is a good quality 22 lr auto or revolver. A 22 is easy to learn how to shoot, not much noise or recoil, and ammo is cheap so you and your wife can shoot a lot and learn the basics of handgun shooting. Something you might want to consider.

BulkAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some others have brought this up but it's worth repeating. The best advice anyone can give when you are looking for a new firearm is to just go and rent/borrow one and try it out for yourself. There are quite a few really good options out there to choose from. Any of the modern polymer pistols would make a good choice. You'll just need to find the one that fits you/your wife best.

I wouldn't worry about the 9mm as far as reliablity. As others have said it was a weapon issue and not the caliber of handgun. There has been more 9mm ammo shot than any other handgun ammo to date.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could add that 9MM caliber is the most reasonably priced centerfire caliber ammunition available. Buy more ammo, train with your pistol more. Highly reccomend taking a class at TDSA or USSA, they're worth your money and time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom