I need a good first pistol, any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceflyer001

Marksman
Reaction score
My advice on a first hangun is to:

1) Buy a cheaper, no frills, medium sized gun, from a good manufacturer (S&W, Taurus, Ruger). I would also stay with 9mm since they are the cheaper to shoot. (or buy a used handgun).

2) Shoot it alot over a few weeks/months, until you become more proficient, and can figure out what you like and don't like about it, maybe rent some others too.

3) Read about Actions: Single Action, Single Action/Double Action, Double Action Only. Youtube has some good videos.

4) Try lightweight Poly guns and also heavier traditional metal guns.

5) Remember most CCW handguns are for emergencies. They are not fun to shoot.

Basically I disagree with many of the earlier posts telling you to just go rent a buncha guns. If you don't have alot of trigger time on any handgun, I don't think you'll be able to distinguish which one you like best.

If it turns out you don't like the gun you bought in step 1, you can sell it later and probably get most of your money back.

Being new to guns myself, these are some tips I used to start learning what I was looking for and wasn't. Although renting different guns can help lead you in a specific direction, that's not always the best solution. For me, I have now purchased 2 pistols that have the potential to be my concealed. I take them out to the range once or twice a week to get used to them, and decide which one I like better. In the end, I may sell both of them to try others. Then again, maybe not. I am really enjoying the 9mm XD I just purchased.

Range time I believe is very important to anyone first getting into purchasing a weapon. Home defense was one of the reasons I purchased a pistol, but keeping it loaded and chambered at home scared me at first. I took a couple of classes (I'd certainly recommend taking more than just the CCW class), and have put about 400 rounds through each gun. I'm now much more comfortable and leave one loaded with protection rounds at home. By shooting more, it makes me more comfortable handling a loaded weapon, and when my CCW permit comes in, I should be comfortable enough to carry one.

Owning a gun with the intent to protect yourself or family when the time comes is a HUGE responsibility. I've taken 2 classes and intend to take more. I feel its my responsibility to learn how to handle it properly in a tough situation to make good decisions. One of the instructors told me that no one ever hears of CCW holders using their guns properly on the news, but they most certainly will hear about it if you do something stupid. To me, having a gun that fits my hand and what I intend to use it for is secondary to learning how to use it properly in the first place. Classes are the way to learn, as well as asking questions here.

I'm not going to get into what type gun, or caliber to buy as I really believe this is a personal preference at the end. Others have made good suggestions here. For me, it seems that I will likely carry my 9mm XD as opposed to my .40 cal Glock, but they are both fun to shoot at the range.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Medlocks and rent a few different guns, primarily XD, M&P, or Glock, all are proven reliable and the manufacturers offer better customer service than Taurus. While you are there let Becky know that you are new to handguns and ask her if she can provide you with some basic safety training and show you how to break down a gun for cleaning.

I'm pretty sure that you can buy a new Springfield XD for around $400 and a saw a post earlier about used Glocks selling for $320.

Not that it doesn't happen, but I've never seen a 9mm failure due to factory ammo issues. Even my 9mm 1911 failures are either mechanical or gripping related...not that I have a sissy grip or anything.

Until you know what you are looking for and are more familiar with values I suggest you stay away from Sports World and Dong's, decent shops for window shopping but both shops lack customer service and really enjoy degrading gun newbies.

If you are absolutely sold on the Taurus, take a look at Hi-Point handguns. They aren't as pretty as Taurus, but you will get better customer service when it fails.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a newbie, but here's what I've learned through this forum, and personal experience for concealed carry.

First thing is, you need a gun. Personally for my own needs & desires, I like my Taurus .380 TCP. It is small, light, simple, and less than $300 out the door. The ammo costs a little more than say, 9mm but life is full of trade-offs.

It won't be something you'd want to spend all day shooting, but I think 3 trips to the range at 50/100 rounds per trip would do you more good than trying to blow through 500 rounds all at once would anyway.

Again, I'm not a party to the big gun vs. little gun or Glock vs. S&W arguments, this is just what works for me.

Another thing that is just as important is to get some training from a good gun instructor. You can find them on here too.

photogryph

New to the site!
Reaction score
It's definitely interesting about conversations online seeming to end up with 1-3 individuals battling back and forth. However, that's an aside...I assume.

I've *never* owned a handgun or rifle or shotgun (etc) before. I woke up one night and I was absolutely *sure* someone was in my home. I picked up my samurai practice sword and started sneaking around my house, trying to find and accost the intruder. My wife was sleeping away, unaware. At that time, I realized how ridiculously naive I was. I'm in my underwear, holding a big stick, which I didn't even have the room to swing in most of the areas of my house. I felt naked, exposed, and vulnerable.

Fortunately, there was no one there. Only those damned branches I'd been meaning to trim that were banging against my house. Sounded exactly like someone walking across my hardwood floors.....and *not* being concerned about being heard! BG, not concerned....Major scary for me.

Yes, there's a tie-in to this discussion.

What did I feel I needed? Protection in my home. Did I want to carry it everywhere I went? That wasn't my plan. So, at that time, with those thoughts, what should I do? That was my thinking. Do I want a feeling of being able to protect myself and wife at home, or do I want to plan to carry it all day long, everywhere I go? Home security.

So, do I care what size it is? No. Not as long as I can hold it and aim it and hit the BG. Do I want it to be reliable? Yes. Do I want to be able to afford to shoot many practice rounds? Yes. Do I feel I need it NOW! YES!

9mm is the affordable ammunition. So, that narrowed down the search. Big enough to get the job done, but not too big.

I'm pretty anal about research on most things. So, obviously, I researched inexpensive, reliable 9mm handguns. I was amazed at the prices of the *new* inexpensive weapons available. I found much discussion about the pros and cons of different "cheap" handguns. But, in my opinion, my research ended up pointing to the Hi-Point 9mm that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Hated by many, but loved by most who have actually owned one. And, it comes with a *lifetime* warranty that is apparently honored with a sense of pride and fairness. Send it in today, apparently you get it back within 2 weeks, *with a new magazine* to help offset your shipping expenses!

And, it's available in Tulsa at a few places. The manufactures suggested price? $165. Available locally? I bought mine at Sooner Guns, 56ish & Mingo. Mark Leggett sells that weapon for $169. I have no problem paying $4 for local, helpful, service and advice.

Long post. Sorry. I've only run 166 rounds through it, including the 100 today at Carry Legal's conceal carry class. (Recommended!) No problems of any sort. Obviously that's not a lot of experience with the weapon. But, compared to the detractor stories I'd seen online....NO problems.

What's your goal? Home defense or concealed carry? Maybe I'll change my mind about concealed carry, but whether I do or not, for $169 and some ammo, I feel safer in my own home now.

First pistol? What are you wanting it to be for?

Just my own personal thought processes. Others may like strawberry while I like chocolate. That's why they come in more than one flavor. :-P

P.S. - I'm not paid by either Hi-Point or Mark. (But....I'm open to considering it! LOL!)

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Odd man out with advice. But like G. Gordon Liddy says, revolvers are inherently safe and a good choice for a new gun owner. I have a little Ruger SP101 that'll digest .38Spl or .357 without a hiccup. I carry it as often as I do my Detonics .45

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Odd man out with advice. But like G. Gordon Liddy says, revolvers are inherently safe and a good choice for a new gun owner. I have a little Ruger SP101 that'll digest .38Spl or .357 without a hiccup. I carry it as often as I do my Detonics .45

That's not terrible advice at all - my Grandma had a S&W Model 65 at her house as a point-shoot gun - it was a police trade-in from CDNN several years back and the trigger was like butter (even in D/A) and with low-recoil .38SPL Hyrdra Shoks in it, it had virtually no recoil at all (4 1/2" barrel).

Latest posts

Top Bottom