I need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated above, it may take her becoming a victim to realize that something could happen to her. Hopefully it will not.

Ten years ago, my wife was totally against me getting my CCW or even having a gun in the house, despite the fact that she had been robbed at gunpoint in south Tulsa (before we even met). Over the years she has come to terms with the fact that I take my duty to protect her and my family seriously and that firearms are part of that.

If it causes tension between you and your sister, just talk about something else.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Default Re: I need help

If you're a member of the NRA and get their monthly magazine or have a friend who is a member, there is a section called "The Armed Citizen" that are clips of news stories across the country.

i would second this idea. Magazine is called American Rifleman (has more than rifle articles). each month i would read the 'Armed Citizen' to my wife and comment, 'see, it can happen to anyone anywhere.' after a while i drove the idea home.

when i first got my CCL, my wife was not real big on me carrying a gun, then after reading the stories of people attacked and making sure she read about the local crime, she started asking me if i was carrying when we went out.

an idea would be to clip out the article and give to your sister.

But, i talk to people all the time that believe the nothing bad will ever happen to them, since they live a good life, are good people, live in a good part of town, etc. nothing will happen to them. And sadly, i have noticed that these people have no tools for accessing whether or not they are being targeted by the bad guys.

45 shooter

Marksman
Reaction score
http://www.newson6.com/story/133969...in-shooting-would-be-burglars?redirected=true

This is the story of a home invasion in which a young mother used a gun to defend her children. I know this story, because I worked with the father of the family at that time.

I do have to agree with the above mentioned sentiments that there are people who just won't be convinced until it happens to them.

Many years ago while I was in college and living with my mother, I had a revolver that I kept at the house. My mother was not happy with it, she mentioned several times that she did not like the idea of the gun in the house, but she never went so far as to ask me to get rid of it or forbid me having it in the house. Then, came the mugging. My mother was walking home from work one dark night when someone knocked her to the pavement and stole her purse. She was not badly injured, but afterwards she became terrified that the muggers now had her house keys and address. She feared that they would use the keys to enter the house and rob us. That night I slept on the couch by the front door with my .357 at hand. Nothing happened, and the next day we had the locks changed. After that incident, my mother never again mentioned that she didn't like guns in the house. I think she realized that it was a necessary evil in our current lives.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.newson6.com/story/133969...in-shooting-would-be-burglars?redirected=true

This is the story of a home invasion in which a young mother used a gun to defend her children. I know this story, because I worked with the father of the family at that time.

I do have to agree with the above mentioned sentiments that there are people who just won't be convinced until it happens to them.

Many years ago while I was in college and living with my mother, I had a revolver that I kept at the house. My mother was not happy with it, she mentioned several times that she did not like the idea of the gun in the house, but she never went so far as to ask me to get rid of it or forbid me having it in the house. Then, came the mugging. My mother was walking home from work one dark night when someone knocked her to the pavement and stole her purse. She was not badly injured, but afterwards she became terrified that the muggers now had her house keys and address. She feared that they would use the keys to enter the house and rob us. That night I slept on the couch by the front door with my .357 at hand. Nothing happened, and the next day we had the locks changed. After that incident, my mother never again mentioned that she didn't like guns in the house. I think she realized that it was a necessary evil in our current lives.

Very Bad Phraseology. An inanimate object is neither good nor evil. It just is. It can be used in good or evil acts by a person.

If you please would, NEVER use that phrase again in conjunction with such an object.:mad:

PitRottMommy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Logic does not work with this type of individual.

I must kindly disagree with this. While I do agree that there are some folks that will never see logic...it's quite difficult to assume that we know that the person the OP is talking about is "this type of individual". And this is why...

When I moved to OKC in 2006, I was 110% fearful of guns. My mother had instilled fear into my younger sister and I in our youth to keep us from doing something stupid. She's still, to this day, one of those people who doesn't feel firearms are necessary for defense. So is my sister. When I moved, I spent a fair amount of time with two good friends of mine who owned firearms. I would not even hug them for fear of setting off the firearm.

In late 2006, I started dating my current boyfriend who owned a handgun. And it was promptly brought to my home when a series of home invasions and rapes occurred in my apartment complex. I was so adamant about NOT touching the gun that Jason finally bought a baseball bat so at least I had something to use to protect myself since I clearly was not going to use the gun.

What turned me away from being "that type of individual" was Jason taking me to the gun range, explaining to me what I needed to know, putting the gun in my hands and letting me put a box of ammo downrange. Not only did it not kill me to use the gun...I was actually GOOD at it!

Since that time, Jason and I have both received our concealed carry licenses. My choice firearms are more expensive and larger caliber than what Jason prefers to carry. I carry at all times, including at work (and my boss supports my choice.) And I have taken an interest in rifles and hope to make my first hunting trip this year. (And this is all something that does not necessarily involve Jason, these are my own interests.)

Had someone not done what the OP is attempting to do here...I'd still be "that type of individual". So, folks, please don't count everyone out as those who cannot be helped. I give kudos to the OP for at least trying. If it doesn't pan out, at least he tried. But what if it does?

Latest posts

Top Bottom