I need some ideas on locks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uniquediversity

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I think a bimetal or carbide hole cutter will take care of the hole. Next:
The door is a single piece of steel unlike house doors that are thick. How do I support the lock in the hole?
I also need to decide on the locks, they have to be a set with the same key, strong etc.

a piece of box tubing cut in half and welded to door on other side of hole with hole cut out for the bolt of lock to go through and into frame.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said. A good Bi-Metal hole saw like a Lenox would cut through it nicely. A little cutting oil would help but is not absolutely necessary. Just go slow ( speed and feed) Now, a Carbide tipped hole saw would do a better job but they are going to cost more too. This one on the Bay is super cheap and might do a good job for the one time you'll probably use it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Electrical hole punches are designed for 10 Ga. maximum Cap. and a 2" die punches a 2.5" hole. There are hydraulic punches out there that will do it but they are very expensive and I'm sure would tweak the door a fraction.

Is the door an in-swing or out-swing? Have you considered what the bolt is going to catch on the jam side of the door?

The box tubing is a good idea. I can get you piece and half it if you have a way weld it to the door.

Ok now for the crazy idea. I think I could hold the door with Mag locks and a power supply with a backup battery behind it. Add a keypad a bam now there is access for everyone without the fear of kiddos being locked out when parental are out. Plus a keypad could be audited to see who had come in and out of the room.

G

green_machine

3/16 shouldn't be too bad for 1 or two whole saws on a drill with some w-d40. but normal dead bolts require a thicker mating surface(atleast the ones I'm thinking of). so might have to weld on a thicker piece for it... if all else fails and IF the door can come off. I could modify it. if a magnet sticks to it, I can cut it and weld it. ;)

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said. A good Bi-Metal hole saw like a Lenox would cut through it nicely. A little cutting oil would help but is not absolutely necessary. Just go slow ( speed and feed) Now, a Carbide tipped hole saw would do a better job but they are going to cost more too. This one on the Bay is super cheap and might do a good job for the one time you'll probably use it.
Is the door an in-swing or out-swing? Have you considered what the bolt is going to catch on the jam side of the door?

The box tubing is a good idea. I can get you piece and half it if you have a way weld it to the door.

Ok now for the crazy idea. I think I could hold the door with Mag locks and a power supply with a backup battery behind it. Add a keypad a bam now there is access for everyone without the fear of kiddos being locked out when parental are out. Plus a keypad could be audited to see who had come in and out of the room.

3/16 shouldn't be too bad for 1 or two whole saws on a drill with some w-d40. but normal dead bolts require a thicker mating surface(atleast the ones I'm thinking of). so might have to weld on a thicker piece for it... if all else fails and IF the door can come off. I could modify it. if a magnet sticks to it, I can cut it and weld it. ;)

The hole will not be a problem even if I have to burn a hole saw or two or buy a carbide tipped hole saw.
I have not made up my mind on the locks yet, I am starting to think that if I go through all this trouble, I might as well get a good set. The hole diameter and the size of the back up arrangement depends on the locks, so I have to decide on those first.
Thanks for your support.

Latest posts

Top Bottom