I processed acorns yesterday!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck! when I was on my back porch cracking them I had a squirrel stalking me!

:rollingla I have no doubt. The rabbits' pen is right under overhang from the big oak tree in the neighbor's yard. My rabbits are like dogs -- not the least bit scared of "Mom" ... :rolleyes2 They will actually growl at me and try to take acorns away from me if I try to pick them up out of their enclosure ... It is a RIOT!! :rollingla :rollingla

This morning when I went out to let the chickens out, one of our buffs and the GSD we adopted were playing with each other! The leghorns were less than impressed and would NOT come out of their pen for love nor money ... nor scratch! Al they did was run, jump up on the coop and start squawking! :D We've got one rabbit that will play with him, too. We have to watch him that he doesn't get too excited and start batting at them with his front paws but other than that he is so gentle with the other animals here. He's really a sweetie pie! :)

(GC says we have the strangest critters ... LOL)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok here is what I've learned so far. Acorns are freaking hard as rocks when they are dehydrated... They will not easily go through a little cheapo hand mill grinder unless they are chopped into small bits. Once you boil and dehydrate them you can't just chop them into small bits... You can't even smack them with a hammer very easily. :doh:

You can chop them first while they are still fresh or just freshly boiled and still soft. and if you don't do that you can put them small amounts at a time into a blender, not a food processor.... or a coffee grinder... and then run them through your mill.

Also I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what the smell reminds me of. It finally dawned on me last night. They have a similar smell to amaretto :-)

OK, so much for my hijack ... Have you made any flour yet?? Pancakes?? Bread?? Inquiring minds want to know ... :D

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, so much for my hijack ... Have you made any flour yet?? Pancakes?? Bread?? Inquiring minds want to know ... :D

I enjoy hijacked threads LOL Rabbits can be vicious I've owned a few. Anyone who thinks bunnys are all fuzz and love needs to watch watership down. thats what rabbits are really like.

I have made the flour but I haven't cooked with it yet! I think Im going to try to this weekend, but we have a tournament so IDK if I will have the time. I suppose I could be doing it now but I don't feel fully prepared for that task yet LOL

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made muffins and they were pretty good, would've been a whole lot better had I not been a dumbass and used 3 tablespoons of baking powder... I'm not really a baker so who the heck knew 3Tbs was alot??? :anyone:

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
make sure they don't have holes in them, if they do those are exit holes from little grubs. and just a tip cut the acorns up before you process them it makes grinding them much easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom