I think I've went off the deep end!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well...I finally went and done it.

Almost. ;)

My local toy store has a brand new in the box Rock Island Armory G.I. 1911 for four bills.

I thought about picking this thing up and building a combat .45 out of it. You know, just a few gadgets here and there...basically all I would be installing would be a slotted hammer, beavertail, long, slotted trigger, extended/tactical thumb safety and probably a different set of sights.

Now then. Here are a few questions for our 1911 aficionados. :naughty:

When installing a new trigger, beavertail and hammer, do I need to also change out the sear, springs and disconnector? Or can I still use the factory parts? Also, is this RIA 1911 equivalent to a Colt Series 70? Or does it have an internal firing pin safety?

I did a little shopping on www.midwayusa.com and found this list of parts that I thought would be a good choice for this new .45 and not break the bank.

STI Extended Thumb Safety 1911 Blue - $24.99

[Broken External Image]

Let me start by saying I don't like, nor do I need an ambi safety. The same goes for a FLGR. I just don't like 'em. :disappoin I've noticed that STI stuff is a little cheaper than Ed Brown and Wilson parts. Are they just as good? Or is this another case of "you get what you pay for."

STI Trigger 1911 Long Polymer Black - $23.99

[Broken External Image]

I saw this trigger and fell in love! :woohoo1: That's just the Glock in me I reckon. :rolleyes2

Pachmayr Beavertail Grip Safety 1911 Series 70 Rubber Covered Black - $35.99

[Broken External Image]

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have this HUGE phobia of rust. Probably because I sweat like a pig. When I saw this beavertail safety with the rubber outer, I thought it would be perfect for sweaty hands like mine. I know it's not "traditional" but I think it would keep the rust off. If Pach made a rubberized MSH, I'd install one of those as well.

Wilson Combat Value Line Speed Hammer 1911 Blue - $28.99

[Broken External Image]

The name Wilson is synonomous with the 1911. Bill Wilson makes some of the best .45s out there and his parts are probably the best there are. If I could afford it, I'm sure I'd own one of his irons. So you can imagine how happy I was to see that he now offers a "value line" of parts. But tell me...are they as good as his top of the line parts?

Anyway...those few (but IMO essential) parts come to $113.96. By the time I pay my smitty to install 'em, I'm looking at over 150 bucks...maybe even closer to $200. Then, gradually, I'll add things like more magazines, larger (maybe tritium) sights and maybe some hex head screws or something, just to snaz it up a bit. :D I'll also probably take off the smooth wood panels that are on it now and change them out to a Pachmayr rubber wrap around grip. Again...the rust issue. :blahblah:

I just wanna keep this thing as bone stock as I can but still make it user friendly.

So. Hit me with your comments and snide remarks bastardos. :bighug:

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the rubber beavertail is crap. the rubber will wear and will get all snaggified looking and may interfere with function.
get the wilson drop in.

When installing a new trigger, beavertail and hammer, do I need to also change out the sear, springs and disconnector? Need to, probably not, should? I would.
Or can I still use the factory parts? Also, is this RIA 1911 equivalent to a Colt Series 70? Or does it have an internal firing pin safety? yes 70 series.

The STI thumb safety is good.

if I were you, Id bob the hammer enough to work with the drop in beavertail and get some good sights. Remember what the good Col. said.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the rubber beavertail is crap. the rubber will wear and will get all snaggified looking and may interfere with function.
get the wilson drop in.

When installing a new trigger, beavertail and hammer, do I need to also change out the sear, springs and disconnector? Need to, probably not, should? I would.
Or can I still use the factory parts? Also, is this RIA 1911 equivalent to a Colt Series 70? Or does it have an internal firing pin safety? yes 70 series.

The STI thumb safety is good.

if I were you, Id bob the hammer enough to work with the drop in beavertail and get some good sights. Remember what the good Col. said.

Yeah, I remember what the good Col. said. Bless his soul.

[Broken External Image]

I still haven't convinced myself that this 1911 will be uber reliable as my Glocks and revolvers are. I've read good reviews about the RIA but they have all been stock outta the box. Whenever you start grinding on them...who knows? :ugh:

Send me a PM about how much you would charge me to install a beavertail, thumb safety and trigger, as well as bobbing the hammer and swapping out the guts. Also let me know if you can get the parts cheaper or if I should supply them myself.

Thanks Mikey. :Heya:

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey GED, I know you really like your trigger.... but just make sure it's not for an STI double stack... that could be bad. :)

The Wilson value parts are just as good as most of others.... kinda mid range quality. EGW, though more expensive, are some nice parts, especially their sear. Same goes for Cylinder and Slide ignition components.

As for rust.... and if you want to "snazz" it up a bit, you could always go with a stainless beavertail, thumb safety and slide stop... it's a pretty nice look.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you're old school, spend another $30 and get a nice set of double diamond grips panels. it will change the look immensely, plus make it more functional. You won't like carrying it with the Hogue wraparounds.

BC

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to build a combat .45 then save your money for a Springer Mil-spec..... not a GI but a Mil-spec. It has a few minor touches and a forged frame and slide. The RIAs are extrusions...

Hoss

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to look for the Rock Island Tactical. It comes with a beavertail grip safety, ambi safety, skeleton trigger and hammer. It also has upgraded dovetailed sights instead of the mil spec sights. They have them on gunbroker buy it now for $445.

Latest posts

Top Bottom