I want a .308 AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always been a battle rifle fan and have owned a few .308's over the years. Not long after DPMS started making 308 ARs I bought an AP4. The thing shot decent groups but had horrible issues with jams and I seriously could not get the bolt out of the carrier to clean it without taking the screws out of the carrier. Instead of sending it back to DPMS, I traded it at a big loss for a Chinese M14 that I later sold for $700. I pretty much wrote off 308 AR's (and DMPS) and stuck with M14's.

Now that Magpul makes affordable .308 mags and several quality companies produce 308 Ar's the big has bit me again. While I'd love a top end rifle $2600-$3500 is just not in the budget. My question is am I better off buying something like this http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/38a20fb.htm or going the stripped lower route. I don't mind assembling a lower but I don't feel up to building an upper. That CMMG has everything I want minus a 2 stage trigger and possibly a Magpul PRS. If I did decide to go with building the lower where could I find an upper I'm not willing to buy another DPMS.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always been a battle rifle fan and have owned a few .308's over the years. Not long after DPMS started making 308 ARs I bought an AP4. The thing shot decent groups but had horrible issues with jams and I seriously could not get the bolt out of the carrier to clean it without taking the screws out of the carrier. Instead of sending it back to DPMS, I traded it at a big loss for a Chinese M14 that I later sold for $700. I pretty much wrote off 308 AR's (and DMPS)

If you were removing the gas key to get your bolt out...I bet I know the source of your malfunctions.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a solution:

i1058.photobucket.com_albums_t414_3inSlugger_FN_FAL_rifle.jpg

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously! removing the bolt doesnt require removing screws.

I know, but on the DPMS BCG I had it did. I tried everything I could think of the cam pin would not come out unless I took the screws out.

It's looking like buying a complete rifle is the way to go. Looks like the only ones under $2500 are DPMS, Armalite, and CMMG so I guess its CMMG since Armalite only has a 16" in an A model. I'm over looking RRA's since they use FAL mags.