Ice bucket challenge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you do this to raise funds and awareness about ALS? I have to say for something so dumb it is raising big bucks. This period last year they raised 1.9 million, this year 22.9 million. Many celebrities are doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a fad and stupid at that, but it is raising money for a good cause. I can put up with stupid for that.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son did it yesterday. He is one of the young folk who actually know what it is for and not just doing it because others think it is the new fad

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are a couple videos that track it back to the start, to see how it started and to see what they've accomplished financially is pretty awesome. Call it what you will but if a viral video results in millions to pursue cures for incurable diseases, I say that's social media at its VERY best. I'm personally relieved to see the ice bucket vids because it's one less story or comment about Ferguson cluttering my feed.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/origins-als-ice-bucket-challenge/

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/i...rates-message-loud-clear-ice-bucket-challenge

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its a fad. Some ppl are doing it and aint donating. I liken it to going viral or duckfaced selfies except for money.

This...many aren't even mentioning ALS and lots don't even have ice in their "ice bucket".

Some if my wife's shallow acquaintances nominated her in that fashion. She wrote a check and posted a link to alsa.org in response. Crickets from everyone after that.

(ALS took my grandfather when he was only 36, back in '52)

Latest posts

Top Bottom