Ideas on how to carry extra rounds with shotgun for home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
worst idea ,,post #13,, ammo weight unbalances gun , and can pull gun off target.as it swings around loose.none of my HD long guns have a sling, you dont need that sling catching on something or interfering with your weak hand holding and aiming or reloading(pumping)your long gun during a HD situation, slings are for field carry..u dont need one inside or around the house..
Slings are also for weapon retention. You may not need one to clear a house at night, but I have small children and may lose of one my hands on the gun so I can guide or carry a kid. Obviously a pump gun is a two-handed weapon pretty much at all times, so I'm probably not choosing one if the need arises.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is sharp! I have never seen one. Damn I like that!
I have this leather one that I cut down to fit on the stock and attached with velcro. I still need to install the sling hardward.

8wjSG9p.jpg

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, like @retrieverman and others have said, if you can't finish a home invasion with a full magazine tube, you've probably lost already.

With that being said, I have a 6 round Mesa Tactical side saddle mounted on my Mossy 500 filled with Winchester 2 3/4 inch, 9 pellet 00 buckshot.

More importantly than spare ammo, make sure you have a weapon light mounted on it. You can't shoot what you can't see. And it's damn near impossible to manipulate a scattergun with a hand held flashlight. I have the Streamlight TLR-RM1 on mine.
I'd rather have extra rounds and not need them than end up with an emtpy gun in one hand and my swinging cod in the other.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have put some thought in this and opted to NOT put a light on my Benelli. I have instructed my wife that she and I if not already in the bedroom to retreat to the master bedroom. Call 911. Lay/hold the Benelli across the bed crouched behind the bed that is between you and the only door into the room. There is a hallway night light that will backlight. Blast anyone coming thru the doorway. There is a flashlight as backup if needed but not to be used unless absolutely necessary to avoid giving up your position.

What's wrong with my plan ?
What's wrong with your plan is that everyone has the exact same idea, probably even the intruder - (lay/hold the gun across the bed crouched behind the bed that is between you and the only door into the room. There is a hallway night light that will backlight. Blast anyone coming thru the doorway.) - meaning that in all probability your position is already known, and if the hallway light is to the back of the intruder, there is a good chance (depending on how bright that light is) that he/she can see you almost as well as you can see him/her.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's wrong with your plan is that everyone has the exact same idea, probably even the intruder - (lay/hold the gun across the bed crouched behind the bed that is between you and the only door into the room. There is a hallway night light that will backlight. Blast anyone coming thru the doorway.) - meaning that in all probability your position is already known, and if the hallway light is to the back of the intruder, there is a good chance (depending on how bright that light is) that he/she can see you almost as well as you can see him/her.
I’m counting on the 12ga blast to impair his night vision

Latest posts

Top Bottom