Ideas on how to carry extra rounds with shotgun for home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, like @retrieverman and others have said, if you can't finish a home invasion with a full magazine tube, you've probably lost already.

With that being said, I have a 6 round Mesa Tactical side saddle mounted on my Mossy 500 filled with Winchester 2 3/4 inch, 9 pellet 00 buckshot.

More importantly than spare ammo, make sure you have a weapon light mounted on it. You can't shoot what you can't see. And it's damn near impossible to manipulate a scattergun with a hand held flashlight. I have the Streamlight TLR-RM1 on mine.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More importantly than spare ammo, make sure you have a weapon light mounted on it. You can't shoot what you can't see. And it's damn near impossible to manipulate a scattergun with a hand held flashlight. I have the Streamlight TLR-RM1 on mine.
I have put some thought in this and opted to NOT put a light on my Benelli. I have instructed my wife that she and I if not already in the bedroom to retreat to the master bedroom. Call 911. Lay/hold the Benelli across the bed crouched behind the bed that is between you and the only door into the room. There is a hallway night light that will backlight. Blast anyone coming thru the doorway. There is a flashlight as backup if needed but not to be used unless absolutely necessary to avoid giving up your position.

What's wrong with my plan ?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have put some thought in this and opted to NOT put a light on my Benelli. I have instructed my wife that she and I if not already in the bedroom to retreat to the master bedroom. Call 911. Lay/hold the Benelli across the bed crouched behind the bed that is between you and the only door into the room. There is a hallway night light that will backlight. Blast anyone coming thru the doorway. There is a flashlight as backup if needed but not to be used unless absolutely necessary to avoid giving up your position.

30rock-tina-fey.gif

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dogs are barking like someone told joegrizzy he was wrong.
You hear the front door get kicked in.
Nerves/adrenalin kicks in.
grab the trusty 2 world war champ and the handy maglight, its game time.
You're amped up because those turds got scared and away as you tripped over your bathrobe running down the hallway.
Or maybe they clipped you as you dropped all three of them.
You're bleeding pretty quick, you think you'll be ok, but you're worried that those half dozen FMJ's that came out of the burglars stolen taurus might have made to into the bedroom where the wife is hiding, according to plan.
You rush down the hall to check on your better half, backlighting yourself, and before you get a chance to say anything in your haze of adrenalin, your wife follows the plan, seeing a target and putting a load of 00 buck in your left hip, but the recoil surprises her, and she accidentally lights another off round of 00 buck into your chest.

Positive target ID would most likely have prevented this. A powerful illumination isn't gonna give away her position, it is gonna blind anyone coming down the hall. A bright light in your face is one thing, a purpose made high candella weapon light dazzling you and turning your entire world an eye-burning white is a whole other thing.

But don't take my word on it, go out at 10-11pm, turn out all the light like you're in bed. Hand the wife a serious flashlight/weaponlight that you would put on the benelli. Preferably a surefire or modlight. Run a few wind sprints in the yard to get the blood running. Have her hide behind bed and shine that light in your face as you backlight yourself.

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 flaws in your scenario. Once holed up neither of us is moving out until LE arrives from earlier 911 call. We will just let perps stack up in the doorway ( may need to increase ammo storage in bedroom ). Also your scenario assumes no communication. Of course things never go as planned

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

No power, or people also using the windows to your bedroom.

Better to have a weapon light and not need to use it… I was anti weapon light, now I’m pro weapon light after the run in with a crazy neighbor one night. I ran out of hands when things didn’t go according to plan.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
worst idea ,,post #13,, ammo weight unbalances gun , and can pull gun off target.as it swings around loose.none of my HD long guns have a sling, you dont need that sling catching on something or interfering with your weak hand holding and aiming or reloading(pumping)your long gun during a HD situation, slings are for field carry..u dont need one inside or around the house..
Oklahoma wind and loose slings don’t go together. Slings are great for times, when you need both hands (controlling intruder, doors etc…)

Latest posts

Top Bottom