IED on gas well near Okemah?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crude bomb left on Oklahoma gas line, FBI says

"A law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity told CNN the device was made up of black powder, propane and a timing device."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/10/oklahoma.pipe.bomb/

This is an accurate report. The device was disrupted, but did not detonate when this occurred. That does not mean it wasn't a viable device, which will have to be ascertained by a lab analysis. What we do know is that the required components for a viable IED were present.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is an accurate report. The device was disrupted, but did not detonate when this occurred. That does not mean it wasn't a viable device, which will have to be ascertained by a lab analysis. What we do know is that the required components for a viable IED were present.

Which definately means it wasn't "ruled inert"....they rendered it inert by disrupting it. HUGE distinction as I previously mentioned.

Are they trying to downplay it?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which definately means it wasn't "ruled inert"....they rendered it inert by disrupting it. HUGE distinction as I previously mentioned.

Are they trying to downplay it?

It doesn't seem so or I wouldn't have posted the info. One of the lead OIFC (Oklahoma Information Fusion Center) guys was in my office during the event. My partner was on scene for the disruption, along with our FBI liaison. His partner was even giving an interview on the event. There was also footage of the disruption by a news helicopter (despite a NOTAM closing the airspace around the event). So no, I don't see any downplaying of the event from my side.

We've had some recent sabotage issues with a rail line in the area, but this is the 1st pipeline issue we've had locally.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't seem so or I wouldn't have posted the info. One of the lead OIFC (Oklahoma Information Fusion Center) guys was in my office during the event. My partner was on scene for the disruption, along with our FBI liaison. His partner was even giving an interview on the event. There was also footage of the disruption by a news helicopter (despite a NOTAM closing the airspace around the event). So no, I don't see any downplaying of the event from my side.

We've had some recent sabotage issues with a rail line in the area, but this is the 1st pipeline issue we've had locally.

Good gouge...thanks. That's what I get for reading into the initial reports.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Can you share more regarding the rail sabotage?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seriously? Seriously?? SERIOUSLY???

So let me make sure I have all of this correct.

- Gas line workers found the "bomb" on a gas line while working in the area.

- It had a "wind up clock" for a timer set to "2" (and they report that they didn't know "which 2").

- People were evacuated for miles away and the highway was shut down after they shut off the gas.

Is it just me or does all of this sound completely goofball?

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/sto...-on-Okla-gas-line/QmtwifAa6E2Er5bwrKTwQA.cspx

The FBI disarms a homemade bomb on an Oklahoma natural gas line on Wednesday.

“It was just scary. My knees were just shaking. It was frightening,” says Okemah resident Christine Roberts.

Gas employees either for Enogex or Enefrin discovered the device while working on the line just five miles south of Okemah in Okfuskee County.

About 25 people were told to leave their homes and parts of U.S. 27 were shut down.

The FBI is trying to figure out who put that ticking explosive on the line.

When the FBI deactivated a ticking device on a gas line found around 11 Wednesday morning they got the gas line turned off and evacuated about 25 residents living a half mile from the danger zone.

"I didn't take my purse, my wallet, I just left,” says Roberts.

Enogex and Enefrin gas employees found the device on a gas line just a few miles from their homes.

"I didn't know what to expect. I just knew something was going to blow,” says Roberts. "I kept saying 'Oh my God, Oh my God.’”

The Okfuskee County Sheriff says it was a crude explosive with batteries attached. The timer was set at 2.

“It had a wind up clock so it didn't have am or pm,” says Okfuskee County Sheriff Jack Choate. "We went passed the time it was set."

However, the Sheriff says it may have been waterlogged from the overnight storms and could have been set for 2 in the morning.

The FBI safely disarmed the device but the sheriff says this was a crucial line connected to four others one going 60 miles northwest to Cushing.

"It just floored me, it just floored me,” says Roberts.

Other women were pressed for time and the roads were closed.

"I was flipping out about the cake,” says Okemah resident Linda Amsler.

Amsler's cake for her sister's 60th birthday party was stuck at Kelly's Cake Box.

However, only people with homes in the neighborhood were allowed back in.

"I've got ice cream, flowers, pizza and cake. Oh gosh!" says Amsler.

Everyone is safe now but shaken in this town in Okfuskee County.

"In Okemah, Oklahoma, USA. Why is that?" says Amsler.

The owner of Kelly’s Cake Box says she’s moved from Los Angeles and wouldn’t expect a threat like this in her small town.

“This never happens in Okemah, Oklahoma. I would never, ever, ever imagine,” says Kelly Lantis.

The FBI is investigating and agents are questioning people. A lab will test the materials in the device, testing could take up to two weeks.

If you have any information about this incident call the FBI at (405) 290-7770.

You can remain anonymous.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL at not knowing "which 2" it was set to. Has it been that long since people people have used 12 hour clocks?!

awww.gameinformer.com_cfs_filesystemfile.ashx___key_CommunityS5e7114c74a0c46b97e37f72a8dfd4368.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom